1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand having a pistol or two that only go out to fancy dress occasions, but it seems to me there are a lot of admittedly very handsome, but VERY high gloss grips installed on various guns pictured on this forum.

Are they as slick as I imagine? Isn't that a detriment to the tool's usability?

If I could make grips out of sandstone, I would. I need actual GRIP from my grips.

Educate me... or opine. Either is appreciated.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are they as slick as I imagine? Isn't that a detriment to the tool's usability?
They are very pretty but are also slick as snot on a door knob. Having competed in a great many IDPA matches I discovered that Pachmayr rubber grips are very slippery when your hands get sweaty and discarded them after my first match experience. Like you I prefer grippy grips and use Alumagrips and double diamond VZ grips. There are other even more aggressive grips out there and skateboard tape is often used for the front strap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Actually, I shoot IDPA with a 625JM with the smooth JM grips, like them. Also have a couple sets of wood Hogues that work well. All 3 on revolvers, semis are a different story, I like the VZs, checkering or stippling on the front and back straps. This seems backwards to me.. I would think I'd need grippier handles on the D/A revolver.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,317 Posts
As long as the front and back strap are textured it doesn't matter for me really.
I've had a 1911 that only the MSH was textured and it was just lines running up and down. It had a smooth front strap and grips. Even that wasn't an issue really.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My personal preference is front and back strap checkering with smooth grips. It gives me the comfort hold and control I look for. You are correct. My first 1911 was an early DW PM7 with no checkering. I put smooth grips on it, and that didn't work well for me.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,317 Posts
The grips that came with my ACW PE 45 are like a course file. They were on at my first range session.
Sometimes I wear gloves shooting, sometimes not. This time I wasn't and when I was done I decided to clean up with some hand sanitizer. Man did that burn 🔥!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Maybe there are some really slick ones out there, but I shoot pistols all the time with smooth wood, mammoth, etc., as well as checkered grips, and I don't notice a lot of difference. Don't like super aggressive grips though; tried one of the roughest VZs out there and thought I was holding a wood rasp. For me, the front and back straps are what help me control the pistol the most. Probably depends on grip, size of hand, and other assorted variables. Don't think there is a suitable answer other than try them yourself.

Don't listen to me, I've been shootin' at my barn for 10 years and haven't hit it yet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Smooth grips are up there with thin grips and short triggers! :poop:

While they look pretty, they don't provide any grip. Fully checkered grips for me. I have a beautiful pair of ebony grips from woodcaliber and have some desert ironwoods inbound combat checkered. Then VZ fully checkered are awesome, but VZ decided to stop making them which blows my mind. Double diamonds would be my second choice.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,830 Posts
I've got smooth ones and checkered one and run them all, the smooth ones are not slippery, they have a bit of tackiness, especially ivory and bone. I find that having a textured font strap and mainspring housing make a bigger difference in purchase than grips do. I ran this old Brown-Baer with these smooth Raasco grips in an 8 stage match last July, it was plenty hot and humid and sweaty but I didn't have any issues with maintaining my grip.

·
Batteries_included
412 Posts
If there is anybody who needs help in gripping an object, it is me. That being said, the front strap and MSH housing checkering on my ACW's and my Fusion is so grippy that I get to display my fancy smooth grips while still getting a good purchase on my pistols.

·
Dremel jockey
4,205 Posts
Some grips, G10's, are too aggressive for my working hands.
But......I can not readily use smooth and glossy for ANYTHING but show.

Reactions: bnaples

·
Registered
None, boating accident!
65 Posts
Vz. If to aggressive, sand em down to perfect, easy peazy ...

but them mammoth grips do look nice.
Wonder if vz would cut mammoth with a operator 2 cut.

that would be the beez knees.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just put on these $20 etsy specials to try. I generally like half checkered but they were rubbing my side raw after all day iwb. These feel better already. They're not that slick like high gloss but I would have preferred tung oil to the urethane or whatever is on them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
SGM has the most aggressive G10 grips I've had - love 'em! If you decide to go this route - ask for the .072 checkering. The recoil from the .45 will rub my palm raw, but it doesn't ever slip or leave my hand.

I ask for them to be much thicker, and also with some palm swells.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts