Are Les Baer's value declining?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by BCD 45, May 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I've been curious about Les Baer's value. I've been watching 2 on GB'er from the same company at super low prices and no bids with 2 hours left. One is a nice 5" 45 with the 1 1/2" guarantee, that one just got it's 1st bid @ $1495, and the other is a Commander Comanche .45 opening bid $1495 with less than 2 hours and no bids. Both guns are listed as "Like New".

That just doesn't sound right to me on the prices and shows me just how weak the market is or that Les Baer's are just not worth much. I don't know, I've never owed one but thought about bidding on the Comanche.

BCD 45

2. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    There have been bargains to be had with used Baers for as long as I've been paying attention to them (10+yrs).

Everything gun related is extra cheap at the moment, so get whilst the getting is good :thumbs:

cundiff5535, SVG, Glock2740 and 10 others like this.

3. WoodrowAugustus

WoodrowAugustus Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Bought my first Les Baer on here a week or two ago and was very impressed when I got it in hand. For some odd reason I never saw the appeal with them before, but there is no doubt now it will not be my last Baer.

I'd say it is a reflection of 1) the soft market and 2) newer firearm owners liking bells and whistles and not appreciating the "everything you need, nothing you don't" style.

4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The market is so extremely soft right now for those in the business it's a buyers market.. Individual sales sometimes not so much as some haven't realized yet that what was worth $2500 a couple years ago is now worth $2000.. Agree with some above, get while the getting is good.. As soon as a liberal takes office prices will reflect it once again.

Recoil, FWoo45, Babboonbobo and 3 others like this.
  5. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Wilson, NH, GI, Brown, Baer, etc they all look soft at this time to me. Some nice used 20-30% off retail. As soon as liberal Dems regain power, prices will return to more "normal" levels.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    This...^^^

7. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    With companies like Dan Wesson producing gats with equal or more features for less, they may not have much of a choice. Add in the fact that Wesson, and others, offer finishes that last much longer than traditional bluing (this matters to many), with better customer service (according to those who have questioned Les about his products), and it makes sense. This is not meant to say Baer quality is less than Wesson and others, but simply a matter of price point with a particular set of options.

8. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Are you planning on buying a Bear as an investment?

9. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    No sir, just to shoot. But I'd like to be able to get most of my money back if/when I sell it. I keep my firearms in great condition and clean after every shoot.

BCD 45

10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Just got this in an email this morning.

Screenshot_20190522-143529.png

11. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    It looks to me like there are actually less LB bargains on GB now then there was a year ago. I would guess that most dealers with pre price increase inventory sold it off by now and there will be less and less going forward.

Buy Now!

BBP, UBOATDOC and dash like this.
  12. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Gary,

No italics again. I got the same email yesterday but it excludes firearms. If it included them, I just might be ordering a Kobra Carry LW right now.

Jim D

Glock2740 and blamo like this.
  13. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Most LB’s are .45’s and I think .45’s in general are down. .38 Super and 9mm seem to move quicker and for more money. Just my.02

Marc1911, 2sharp2, jfrey and 3 others like this.
  14. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Soft market. Simple as that.

15. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    By the way I have 2 LB’s in .45 and both run flawlessly.

16. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    Every time I see a Dan Wesson compared to any semi custom I scratch my head and wonder what I’m missing. I’ve owned a Wesson, and it wasn’t even in the same league as my 22 year old Wilson in my opinion. I’m not knocking the Wesson I had, because it was a nice gun for the money (my best friend has it now). Like the OP pointed out though, in today’s market, you can shop around and more than likely find a true semi custom in about the same price point.
    Like has been said, it’s a buyer’s market on used semi custom 1911’s right now.

Hairtrigger, Babboonbobo, k38 and 2 others like this.
  17. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Definitely a buyers market these days

Recoil and Babboonbobo like this.
  18. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    In addition to comments already made regarding the soft market, also keep in mind that Gunbroker Auctions can sometimes play out badly for the seller for a number of quirky reasons that have nothing to do with the product or its brand.

Also, some people don't understand automatic bidding, and they treat Gunbroker like its Ebay. They think they will get a better deal if they wait until 1 min before the auction closes before they bid. So, just because the current bid appears low, doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Glock2740 and retrieverman like this.
  19. Teufelhunde

Teufelhunde Active Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Read the fine print.....excludes firearms.....among other sought after items.....

mlea5150 and simonp like this.
  20. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    While they may be fine firearms, Baers have never held their value in the used market.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted