Are you a semi custom brand Ho Ho Hoooo

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by DukeSoprano, Dec 3, 2018.

1. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    Just relaxing and working on my safe and pondering....

Is anyone a brand ho of the top semi custom builders?

Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk Custom, Ed Brown, Guncrafter Industries, and lets include in Dan Wesson.

I feel its almost like Ford, Chevy, Mopar etc.

I have been leaning more and more to Wilson Combat, I just love them. Not that there is anything wrong with the rest!

I do have a Dan Wesson, I have owned a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk but for some reason I let them go.
    I have not yet owned a Guncrafter, although I am almost sure someday I will.

Let me repeat! I am not saying there is anything wrong with any of the above......

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I am a GI fan, and a Wilson fan. They are the only semi customs I have owned.

boatdoc likes this.

3. nod

nod Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2015
    I guess at the moment I would have to say Wilson. I have a Baer I really like and want another one. I had a Brown and a Nighthawk but sold them to buy another Wilson. I would like to try a Dan Wesson and Guncrafter but being retired slowed down my spending :frown:.

4. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Here's a question. What is the difference between a Brand Ho and a Fanboy ??

5. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    Nuttin

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Sneaky One like this.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    A couple of grand.. LOL

I love the Wilson Combat, Nighthawk and such. I am finding I am more of a Dan Wesson/Springfield guy. If I was to get another semi custom, it would most likely be a Guncrafter.

7. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    Well I have (2) Dan Wessons a SS VBob 45ACP, & a Guardian 38 Super. There are others outside the group mentioned.

Dwe likes this.
  8. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Guncrafter type of guy, although I have a DW Valor too.

boatdoc and nnylf7 like this.
  9. usmc_k9_vet

usmc_k9_vet Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    I’ve owned at least one of each that you listed. Nowadays, I really like what GI and Nighthawk are putting out and I am going to be ordering an all stainless EB here in a few months. Nothing at all wrong with WC and in fact I’ve got an EDC X9 on order with them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Never had a high end 1911 so, cannot weigh in but, maybe someday. :)

11. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I really like Baers, I like the way they're built and I like the no compromise "screw you, this is the way we do it and if you don't like it don't buy my guns" attitude. Every time I pick one of mine up I can feel that attitude in the tightness of the lock up and the dimensions of the frame, and the way the guns feel like their straining at the leash, baring their teeth, wanting to be let loose to go out and shoot something.

I've had a few Browns and they're nice but I'm not hooked on them. The only one I still have is a '96 Special Forces made back when Brown was using Baer frames and slides.

Haven't owned any Guncrafters but I like the look of them and the reputation of the company. I also like the new Alchemy line, I can see myself ordering one sometime.

I have no interest in owning a Wilson or a Nighthawk or even another Brown. They're too sterile, too refined for my taste. Dan Wessons do nothing for me, unless one falls in my lap for a steal I can't see ever owning one. I do like Colts, a lot, not because they're high end but because they feel so good in the hand and balance so well. Custom Colts are right up my alley. I like Springfields too but not as much as Colts.

What I really like are guns that were built before the custom 1911 business got so big and there weren't so many different manufacturers and custom 'smiths. When the guys that were building them were focused on accuracy and performance more than aesthetics. Not to say that the pioneers of the custom 1911 world didn't build some beautiful guns, but their reputations weren't built on appearance as much as performance. That's why I've owned Behlerts and Clarks and King's and others, those 'smiths and their guns paved the way for the outrageous customs we see today and the entire "semi-custom" market. Those are the guns that really trip my trigger.

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    In general, are the various Custom Shop guns, ie a SA Professional or a Colt Special Combat Government, considered in this discussion?

13. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I've owned a few and shot a few others. My favorite is my LB's, one in particular. My Wilson is much more pretty and neat on the machining. If I were going to get another which may or may not ever happen, it would be a GI or a NH Classic. I will say that none of the other guns I've fired are as accurate as my LB's. (I have never fired a GI)

14. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    Sure, anything you like is fine!

Sneaky One likes this.
  15. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I am now...
    IMG_0004 copy 2.JPG

16. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    WHAT???? I ALWAYS THOUGHT WC145 meant you owned 145 Wilson Combats!

Gafanhao, limbkiller, boatdoc and 5 others like this.
  17. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I own multiples from Baer, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk and GI. Out of all of them my favorites are the least “refined”.......my Baers.

I don’t know why, but they feel special. They aren’t as well finished as any of my other semi-customs, but they have a unique feeling. Almost as if they are chiseled out of a block of steel. They feel robust, overbuilt and just solid. I like the old school hard fit philosophy of 1911 building, and the lockup on all my Baer made guns is like a bank vault. Throw in the fact the components are actually hand fit via draw filing (no CNC for uncle Les!) and it’s a throwback to the way these guns used to be built, modern technology be damned.

dimedog, dstallguy, boatdoc and 3 others like this.
  18. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Two in particular... my LB TRS & SACS Nowlin Pro. Both just seem to properly fit my hand and attitude. I have owned many of the semi-custom brands mentioned but these two just work for me. Honestly I have never owned a full house custom built by one of the many fine Smiffs that represent on this forum so I do not know what I am missing in that regard...

19. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    My first introduction into the Semi Custom was a used Les Baer PII.
    That led to 5 others one of which was a custom Mono Comanche.
    They are gone except a C7 which I still EDC.
    Then I got a Guncrafter and a Wilson. Wow! Fantastic guns plane an simple.
    I ended up trading my PII for a Dan Wesson SS VBob in 9mm. That changed everything. The value that gun represented just blew me away.
    That DW has multiplied greatly. While I was selling Baers I was buying Dan Wesson’s and Wilson Combats. And those are my favs.
    EBs and NHs are something I probably will have. I’m sure they are nice guns, but they just don’t pull my trigger.
    I will have another Bear Mono soon and want another GCI some day.

Raven312, boatdoc and TheCollector like this.
  20. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    My friends, you may protest this one...but along the lines of semi custom 1911's in terms of quality and certainly caliber, frame/slide choices....you may wish to consider Fusion. I own one and would own another, were it not that I have everything I want in a 1911 with this particular gun and my various Colt's. Were I to get something else in a 1911, it would probably be another Fusion or maybe a DW.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted