Are you still chasing the magic bullet?

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by DukeSoprano, Nov 26, 2018.

1. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    As I enter my 2nd year of reloading, I plan to do a lot of it this winter.
    I look over my spreadsheet with many many trials for all calibers I load for. I have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 loads I like for each caliber but seem to still read every post I see about everybody's favorite loads and I am always temped to try them to see if I am missing "The magic bullet"
    I just want to calm down, pick one load/bullet for each caliber and mass produce.............but then pipeguy will post his favorite load, then DWE will,,,,, then JimHoag will state that he has been shooting the same load since the 1911 was invented LOL.......

Then we can always get into the, this load for this gun and this load for this gun and it never ends!!!!!!

HELP!

gps man likes this.
  2. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I agree, find one and stay with it unless some good reason to change. I have one standard load for 9mm steel and IDPA targets, my wife’s is slightly different. One for the same in .45 and one in bullseye for .45. Took me a bit to settle on these when I switched to Vihtavuori powder but I’m satisfied.

No need to chase the magic bullet, you may already have it.

Dub and DukeSoprano like this.

3. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I have two main .45 loads that I rarely deviate from.
    200 gr LSWC over 5.4 of 231, and 230 gr FMJ over. 5.7 gr of 231.

That said since I started branching out to 38 Superb and 10mm,
    I found myself doing exactly what Duke is doing. I have yet to settle on
    what the OP calls the magic bullet/load. That’s the fun part of reloading!

Dub and DukeSoprano like this.
  4. Acroyer

Acroyer I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    Gesundheit

awp101 and DukeSoprano like this.
  5. Glanoril

Glanoril Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2015
    I've done similar things and found all the experimenting, while fun, doesn't always pay off. I'd have to find my notes (I haven't reloaded anything in almost 2 years), but in 45 I end up going back to a 200 grain SWC over VV-N320.

DukeSoprano likes this.
  6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Pretty much all I load is 230gr FMJ/HP over 5 grains of Bullseye in .45 Auto and 124gr HP over 6 grains of Power Pistol in 9mm. At least 30,000 of each since 2013...

Dub, simonp, gps man and 1 other person like this.
  7. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I load my 200 gr SWC to the exact same specifications WC uses for their test loads.
    Load my 9mm to 3.5 gr Bullseye and it’s laser accurate in all my pistols from subcompact to long barrels.
    I have my one off 147 subs for the can- works for both my PCRs and my pistols with enough oomph to cycle fully, but still stay sub sonic.
    I don’t change and feel no reason to. Seems like a lot of effort for little payoff.

Dub, gaijin and DukeSoprano like this.
  8. Liggett

Liggett Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I just started my VV N310 experiments with 200gr coated SWC's. So far so good, but I haven't chronoed any yet.

9. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Been using VV N340 for all 9mm, 45, and 40 for the last 3 years with X-treme CP sitting on top. Very pleased with the results.

I did make a small change with 45 this year, I bought some Badman polymer coated bullets (230gr) for the 45. These bullets are a harder lead, coated, .040 longer which allowed me to drop the powder charge by .2gr as well. The bullets are fantastic, much harder than X-treme, no copper fouling, super accurate, and slightly cheaper too. Additionally Patrick ships very fast and is a veteran as well. This has become my NEW magic 45 load for target and competition.

A few months ago I loaded 10 45 cartridges with W231 just to look and see (screwing around and needed something to do) since that powder is quite a bit cheaper than VV. This short test without chrono was interesting to say the least. I never new so much FIRE could come out of the barrel! This was a real eye opener at the indoor range. I laughed my ass off and I'm sure someone heard me exclaim out loud "holy sh*t"!
    It's dirty too. But it does work and work well. Good load for sh*ts and giggles.

9mm had one change this year, the OAL was change from 1.150 to 1.142 after doing additional research. No changes to 40.

10mm development was interesting and ended up with Accurate #7 over VV. FPS is right at 1200 with X-treme 180gr RNFP on top. Very happy with this load.

38 super still under development and I am using VVN340. This is going well with great results so far.

My latest load development has been with 6.5CM trying to at least make it as good as factory Hornady 140gr ELD Match which is just phenomenal. This required a lot of testing including powder weight, bullet jump, all measured to the ogive of 140gr ELD Match Hornady bullets and chrono results. I have quite a journal on this cartridge and I am very pleased to say that I did finally get a combination that is actually just slightly better than the factory rounds. Factory I get just under .5 MOA at 100 yards, my most recent load yielded .31 MOA at 100! Both loads are one hole too. This has been the most fun in load development and is definitely a magic bullet! Using the RPR with Nightforce glass this is just a crazy accurate weapon with no problem hitting 14" steel at 1000 yards. I can see the hits with that glass too, no need for a spotting scope. This just amazes me.

.223 I have found the all around magic load for target shooting and fun. Very accurate out to 300 yards out of an AR. H335 with 55gr X-treme on top.

Then there are all the pistol cartridges that I load as well. 38, 357, 41M, 44M, 44S, 45 colt. 45 colt took a bit of work but did find the magic load.

I also keep all this in a spread sheet as well and has become a fantastic hobby especially when one is retired.

I would like to add one more fact, this is the best damn forum I have ever been a member of! Great people, all of you guys!
    Blue Koolaid.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Dub and Mike Meints like this.
  10. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    No magic bullets here. Load in bulk for 9mm and 45 Auto. Unless I can’t get Titegroup and the bullets I use for each at a reasonable price .. I don’t change anything. I do play around with 10mm and revolver calibers though. Not searching for magic, just having fun.

11. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    Great Post Mike! Thank you

Mike0251 likes this.
  12. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    Mike0251... we have nearly the same bench setup except for the vanity mirrors. That’s awesome!

Not one person posted usage of Titegroup powder. I use it for all my 9mm 124gr and I use Titegroup or Bullseye for 45acp. 10mm is a 180gr over AA#7 or Blue Dot. A soft recoiling 10mm can be had with Titegroup as well.

In full disclosure though for 124gr 9mm RN Or HP bullets, I use 3.9-4.0gr Titegroup and I’ve found that down range results are more variable outside this range. In 4.1-4.2gr range the accuracy from a Pistol is complete crap so it does require a narrow powder range for superb results in my Sigs, CZ and Glocks.
    Titegroup does char the outer side of the casing more than most but it cleans up in the media tumbler just fine.

Dub, Mike Meints and Mike0251 like this.
  13. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    Vanity mirrors not my doing lmao! I took over the loft when my son left. He and his girlfriend did that. That's funny!

Dub likes this.
  14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I have settled on one load.

What ever is on sale at Target Sports USA with free shipping. ;)

Mike0251, Mike Meints and awp101 like this.
  15. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Mike and dstallguy, I’ve had two of those Harbor Freight benches (back to back instead of end to end) as my reloading bench for about ten years. I have them in the center of my gun room, kind of like a kitchen island. They work great but wish the drawers pulled out a little further as it is hard to reach small objects in the back of the drawers.

When I switched to a Vihtavuori a couple years ago I kept two pounds of W-231 just because. Talked to a friend of mine this week and will trade him those two pounds for another pound of N-310. Just don’t see a reason to keep it any longer as I like the Vihtavuori so much better.

Dub and Mike0251 like this.
  16. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I've been using Titegroup for both 9 mm and .45 mainly for convenience . Recently , I started loading a few .45 's with Clays . It seem to shoot a little softer .
    On a different note , I see a number of folks using Vihtavuori . What makes it a better choice ?

17. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    I find it very clean burning and consistent. Plus it meters very well too.

Dub and Mike Meints like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted