1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time I was a tanker in the U.S. Army. Sometime in the 70s I bought a sweatshirt emblazoned with the armor branch motto. I loved that sweatshirt and wore it constantly. It got pretty ragged as time slipped past. I stopped wearing it to preserve the motto and tucked it away in the closet. My wife stumbled across it one day and was about to toss it in the trash until I stepped in and declared it to be a sacred artifact that would never suffer the degradation of being casually flung into oblivion.

One day a couple of months ago I had a vision, laid out the old sweatshirt, took a picture of the motto, edited the picture in Photoshop, took the image to a local t-shirt shop, and had them make a t-shirt and crew neck sweatshirt with the motto. They turned out great.

Below are pictures of me with the original sweatshirt in the 70s before it turned ragged as well as the new t-shirt and sweatshirt. If anyone out there would like a matched pair (t-shirt and sweatshirt) like mine, I'd be happy to ask the shop owner to make more. Unfortunately, you'll have to pony up the money but the cost would be exactly what the shop charged me for mine ($25 two months ago) plus whatever the actual shipping cost would be to send the items to you. If you're interested, reply in this thread, drop me an e-mail, or PM. I'll compile a list and as soon as a dozen folks commit I'll run over to the shop to have them made.

Sorry, you don't have a choice of color. You'll be getting gray and you'll like it.:) You can specify what t-shirt size and what sweatshirt size you want. They're available in men's sizes S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL

To be perfectly clear, I'm making exactly zero money doing this. I'm just feeling nostalgic and thought if there were any former, current, or future tankers out there, they might like these.

And a bonus pic of my tank platoon in what was then West Germany (FRG).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I need to be a tanker to request a t-shirt?
No, of course not. Remember there are two kinds of people in the world. Those who are tankers and those who want to be. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your order. There will be no mark up. I do appreciate your kind offer though. Like I said. I'm not doing this to make money.

It's been a few hours since I posted this and want to thank everyone who raised their hand to buy these. I'll compile a list of everyone who wants one and the sizes they specify in a day or two and post it here for everyone's review.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's gotta be a picture of you with an old M3 Grease Gun in front of your 60-ton hate machine!
No pics of me with a grease gun but here's a pic of two of my guys with grease guns tucked under their arms and .45s in shoulder holsters. The fellow in the middle is their TC (tank commander). To his left is the loader. To his right is the driver. The gunner is not in the picture. Probably behind a tree answering the call of nature.

We loved grease guns. You could fire them single shot if you were quick on the trigger and they were the ultimate status symbols among guys at the tip of the spear. We had infantry guys trying to swap their M16 rifles for our grease guns. Fat chance, crunchy.

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Out-freaking-standing!! I’m in for a set, XXL for me please. I started my armor journey at the end of the -60s reign of terror, with my first official job as a tanker in the driver’s seat of an M1A1 Heavy Abrams main battle tank in the 1st Cavalry Division. My last job was as a tank commander and section sergeant on an M1A2 SEP v2 Abrams, with the 4th Infantry Division (mechanized). Best damn job I ever had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Sometimes I wear one of my old shoulder holsters to work, of course with a 1911 in it. My new favorite is the brown leather version I recently got. I get lots of jealous questions from tankers that come in the shop!

·
Premium Member
Les Baer Elk Mountain Resort .45 government, Les Baer 38 Super Comanche, Colt 1991 gov, etc...
659 Posts
I’d be in for a 2XL sweatshirt only if possible. No service as I couldn’t pass the hearing test but got to play on my hockey coaches tank after some practices at Fort Carson Army Base back in the 70’s, had a blast!!! He was a tank commander if I remember right. Anyways, thanks for your service, appreciate it!!! Thanks for the awesome offer too!!! Not sure if the sweatshirts are 100% cotton or blend but I like them big anyways, thanks!!🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Tank Combat vehicle Sky

This is my pig in Iraq, summer of 2003. It can’t be seen in the picture very well, but I had a hole through the side of my guntube right behind the MRS (muzzle reference sensor). That happened courtesy of a trigger happy jihadi, with the then new RPG-22, which had a shaped charge warhead. He launched it at us in an alleyway with barely enough distance for the warhead to arm, and the resulting backblast blew him out of his sandals and through a wall. Since he hadn’t cleared the area behind him, that wall was also on fire. 🤣 He was nowhere to be found when we went after him, but I bet he never tried that again!! 🤕

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That happened courtesy of a trigger happy jihadi, with the then new RPG-22, which had a shaped charge warhead.
I couldn't help it. I laughed my butt off. Am I reading the bumper id correctly 1st Plt Alpha Company 1/66 Armor?

I'll be proud to send you the shirt and sweatshirt, brother.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts