Aside from the cosmetics, what do you look for in a pair of grips?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Kappy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Kappy

Kappy New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    This was something that came up during a lull in my action league today. We were setting up the second stage when someone asked me if my grips were new. I've had the same grips almost since I bought the gun, a pair of Hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves. Then someone else brought up his complaint since I changed the grips, "He used to have a pair of beautiful stock wood grips, but he took them off and threw them away."

Now... that's not really true. I took them off, but I still have the original grips. It did, however, spark a conversation of what we're looking for in a new pair of grips.

I know a lot of grip selection is in the aesthetics. What else do we look for?

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    For a range pistol.. I look for bite (diamond backs), magazine release relief and correct shape.. Pretty simple, but I just like simple...
    Ron

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Grip.
    Comfort.
    Ease of draw.
    Looks.
    Price.

4. Kappy

Kappy New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    For me, it is all about comfort and grip. That's why I went with Hogues. Plus... it just makes the gun look a bit more beefy.

5. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I look for double diamond checkering (works for me both aesthetically and functionally) and durable material.

6. TexasLeo

TexasLeo Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I've been thinking about gatorbacks from VZ. Anybody have any experience with those?

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I don't care about comfort, looks, or price. Guns are tools to me. That said, when I say that "grip" is important to me, it's important to qualify what I mean.

As we all know, sometimes slight adjustments in the grip are necessary. I've found that overly tacky grips, like rubber, or wood with really fine checkering, can hinder those minute adjustments because of how "sticky" they are.

I prefer wider checkering, as it allows (for me) a more proportional range of "the harder I grip, the harder it grips."

I'm a fan of Alumagrips for this reason. It's the same reason I like 20 or 15 lpi checkering on the gun.

Andy

8. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    +1, but I would add that I like thin grips in that configuration.

deadite

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted