1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
born in the wrong century
6,142 Posts
This is correct. My bad. Should have typed another sentence.
it’s all good…..thread is a moving target 🎯, lol

I did a ninja edit to my reply.

• Haha
Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Ruger made a Night Commander. Not sure if its still in production. They do still make their SR commander but its stainless. No problem there just have it blackened by the process you prefer. And add an arched msh and you're done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ruger made a Night Commander. Not sure if its still in production. They do still make their SR commander but its stainless. No problem there just have it blackened by the process you prefer. And add an arched msh and you're done.
Thank you for idea. But I still have to add checkering (unknown wait time), blackening will take sometime too. At the end I’ll spend 60-70% price of the gun. And it won’t hold value like 1500$ gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Went to local shop that have higher end 1911.
WC NH markup 200-400$ over manufacturing price. And why 8 out 10 1911 chamber in 9mm?

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Thank you for idea. But I still have to add checkering (unknown wait time), blackening will take sometime too. At the end I’ll spend 60-70% price of the gun. And it won’t hold value like 1500$ gun.
I just bought this, will shoot it later today. But I am very pleased with a LWC I don't have to send out for assorted work. Checkering is 25 LPI. I bought it to replace my Range Officer Champion and I really like the Bobtail.

Blue Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Do to my own wish/want what 1911 I need. I cage myself to choose from only couple models that available on market. Is it time to do sacrifice or get what’s available? if I do sacrifice they what
Size
Frame material
Look in to 9mm option
Possible 2011

What would you get for under 2k?

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Do to my own wish/want what 1911 I need. I cage myself to choose from only couple models that available on market. Is it time to do sacrifice or get what’s available? if I do sacrifice they what
Size
Frame material
Look in to 9mm option
Possible 2011

What would you get for under 2k?
realistically starting with your original post?

Easiest thing to find will be a Govt sized pistol, which means skip the commander frame unless you want a Commander.

Under $2K?
Stick with regular steel if you chose to. I have never been a fan of SS, but I do own a Ronin. You'll see Colts popping up here from time to time from some very good sources. Same goes for Springfields, in this case I'd suggest a Ronin which will dial you in at roughly 1K, Most of these will not have checkering and options vary on what they comes with.

Then come options:

Sights. Adjustable or fixed? Personally I prefer fixed unless it's a range gun.

Checkering: 1911s do move around in your hand especially in hot sweaty weather, most of all in 45acp.. Checkering is a large plus, including the front strap. I started with 30 Lines per inch, as my hands grew calloused from competition, I moved to 20 LPI. Now years later 25 LPI is a good compromise. If this doesn't come on the pistol you have to have it done and then refinish the frame unless it's SS.

Arched mainspring housing? Easy to add if you buy one that doesn't have it.BUT, if you don't have large hands you'll find yourself heeling the pistol which means you'll tend towards holding the front end of the pistol high. This is a common occurrence.

Full length guide rod? Very easy add. I'd also suggest the Dawson tool less guide rod. These do not come on any pistol I know of.

Springfield has the TRP, checkered and a pistol with a good rep. You'll see them listed here on occasion for sale at good prices.

Springfield Pro, This is a 3K gun that comes close to your limit if you want to wait and watch.

Dan Wesson, very good rep here, very popular. Before you stop if you hear "I had this problem" or anything like it, these are all production pistols... no matter how good the quality is,you'll always find one that isn't perfect.

Colts? Most are base guns, unless you find one that was worked on or came from the factory with the work done.

Kimber? If you took any Kimber and said "here it's yours for nothing", wouldn't take it even for free.

Caliber is up to you, but if you decide on a 9mm, get a 1911 with a Nowlin ramped barrel. Cuts down on feeding problems.

If you're not sure, what you really need to do is take the time to decide exactly what you want before you take the plunge. If you can go shooting with a friend who has a 1911, go to a range where you can rent one. Get a better idea first.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
These would be my choices in the order of preference:

I never owned a Remington 1911 but it does seem to check most of your boxes and should make for a fine first 1911.
Remingtons have the series 80 style firing pin block IIRC.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts