ATI 1911 - Need your experiences please

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Sparx, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Don't ask why but I am considering getting an ATI 1911 .45 in 4.25". From what I have read, these are in the class of the RIA pistols, or maybe a little lesser.
    Formal model name:

ATI HGA FX45 1911 GI 45 ACP 4.25" 7+1

If you have one of these (or a 5" .45), I would appreciate knowing your experiences.

What I do know is the frame is cast, the slide if forged from what I have read. I don't see a single used one for sale on Gunbroker, I take that as a positive.

I am not looking for suggestions to get a different brand, it is the ATI or I will just buy nothing.

Appreciate input
    Sparx

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I just helped work over and ATI for another Forum member, other than the obvious for the price range I didn't see a whole lot different from many of the RIA, except the weight was significantly less. Anytime you can get a 1911 in that kind of price range I don't think you can really go wrong. Some accuracy and reliability work, wouldn't hurt it any however.

Kip and xerts1191 like this.

3. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I don't follow how the weight of the pistol would be less, is the frame on these an alloy?
    sparx

xerts1191 likes this.
  4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Not a darn thing wrong with them . Great buy . I see them around here , used , for around $350.00 .

xerts1191 likes this.
  5. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Ok, good to know. They are at grab a gun now for about $348.00 shipped. I thought it would be something I could tune and shoot, don't own the commander size 1911 .45 at this time.
    sparx

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  6. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    I bought the GI model a couple of years ago, came packaged in a cardboard box that appeared to be disenagrating already, pistol was packed in grease in a plastic bag, it was mess. After cleaning and cleaning again I took it out to the desert to make some noise. Ran one box of white box Win. 230gr. hardball and a hundred or so reloads of the same. No problems. Next trip not so good, several ftf and stovepipe action, all reloads, in the later stages of that trip, probably close to 250 or so rounds through it by that time. Read some of the dribble about them on other forums, most were pretty negative, some suggested dumping the ACT magazines they come with, polishing internals, lots of rough edges in places. Anyhow a little polishing of the extractor and feed ramp, swapped to Kimber and Colt mags. Swapped to thinner grips. Also there were some suggestions on reducing the OAL slightly on my reloads, so far it’s all worked. It is by no means a competition pistol, can still get holes punched in a target at 20yds, not sorry I bought it, love the work Steve O performed on the one pictured above.

UBOATDOC and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  7. Deucer01

Deucer01 Active Member

Mar 15, 2018
  8. mtodd

mtodd 1911 lover Supporting Addict

Oct 8, 2012
    I've got one that's been worked over by some guy in Nebraska ;)
    IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG

9. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Can anyone tell me if the front sight is dovetail mounted on these pistols (stock)?
    sparx

10. SIMBA

SIMBA New Member

Oct 31, 2014
    I bought a 4.25 last week during a Black Friday sale paid $379. Have run 450 rounds
    of mixed ammo through it with no issues. This one has a staked front sight.

11. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I have the ati gi .45 Shoots great. Mine eats fmj hollow points steel case aluminum brass everything my only dislike is the gi sights but they do work just fine. Just buy some good mags for it.

xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.
  12. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    I received one to play with. It would occasionally fail to seat the round. With a hard slap to the rear of the slide it would seat. After speaking with a few people we determined it was short chambered. I installed a Colt barrel. It now run and runs.

xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted