1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new recoil spring for my ATI FX M1911 GI Commander, I installed the new spring & upon shooting it, something felt off. The recoil was real snappy, the spring was a 18 lb spring from Fusion Firearms, from the reviews of Fusion's 1911 I thought there well priced products would work.
I got home that day & field stripped the ATI, I took out the new spring & compared it to the original one that just has only about 200+ rounds on it. The length of the original was considerably longer than the new spring that I purchased. I was looking for a bit more weight in the recoil spring to tame the recoil just a bit, & like my other 1911's that I have owned it smooths out the action of the pistol a bit also.
So did I get the wrong spring, looks to me one for a compact style 1911 not a Commander sized 1911.
Thanks for all replies & any information. When I put back the original spring & shot it again that day, it was a lot smoother that the new spring, the new spring the recoil impulse was kinda hurting my wrist. I am a large man & for a pistol to recoil enough to hurt when shooting. This was the first time I got to shoot it with the new spring installed.
Ammo used was 230 grain Federal Champion aluminum case.

Gun Product Brown Firearm Photograph
Brown Text Photograph Pattern Khaki

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Wolff, in their FAQs, will tell you spring free length is not the whole spring story. The number of coils and the wire diamenter are also factors in determining resistance.

If you think about it, that makes sense. The length at full compression is more critical. Spring bind, in the case of a recoil spring occurs when the spring reaches full compression but the slide travel has yet to achieve complete over cock. In such a case, the spring is too long.

So, a recoil spring can appear short or long and still be good to go or not. The free (unloaded) length alone does not determine resistance.

The springs from overseas do not enjoy a sterling reputation. Early weakness is not unheard of in those recoil springs.

What Fusion sells is a mystery to all but insiders. Most of their parts are re-bagged and re-badged.

The 18 pound Commander spring is a common one and is probably in stock at Wolff. However, the Wolff website does not give a heads up as to in stock or out of stock status like Brownells and Midway. They both stock Wolff springs in the most common flavors and some of the calibration packs. If you need some other item other than the spring alone, Brownells or Midway USA may make shipping more attractive as a package.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.