1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot 1911s and 2011s forever. A 2011, in general, has always fit my hand better. I have long hands and fingers and the double-stack grip usually gives me enough room to get my supporting hand in the right position. I shoot 1911s very well, mind you, but the larger the grip, the better. However, the 1911 always gave me the advantage of offering semi-extended/longer slide stops/slide releases (SSSR). I prefer that method to drop the slide into battery. The Wilson semi-extended SSSR has been my "go-to" forever and there is one on ALL of my 1911s regardless of manufacturer.

As many of you may realize, then, 2011s have been my bane in the SSSR category because there really were not viable options for extended SSSRs. I had to slingshot the slide or use my support hand - both of which were fine but not my preferred method. That is until Triarc came out with their intermediate slide stop some time back. I never pulled the trigger (pun intended) on having one installed because I was waiting for someone on here, or elsewhere, to get one and test it. Finally I said "f-it" and sent them my Artemis for fitting.

Overall it cost me $200 for the part, labor & shipping. They called me during the process and stated that the SSSR required more fitting than anticipated for the Atlas frame and they wanted to re-coat the SSSR so it looked good. You see, they start off with the part coated because there is typically only minor (if any) fitting necessary. Well not my Atlas haha.

So, overall, the wait was about 6 weeks. I got the Artemis back today and wanted to share it with my fellow Addicts. Overall, it is a superb product and - by feel alone - I could not be happier. I am going to take it to the range Sunday and ensure I still have zero on my SRO and I will give it a full test. If anyone is considering one, I will give a note of caution: for the standard angle thumb safeties, you may get interference with the SSSR. Since the Atlas safeties rise up at a 45-deg angle it puts them out of the way. However, the nearly-straight thumb safety in firing position could potentially actuate the SSSR and cause a failure-to-lock-back. Kind of the same way with SAO Sigs since the safety damn near rides the SSSR (I can't use those at all). This would be largely "thumb-size" dependent so YMMV.

If anyone has any questions please ask. Below are some pics to show you the product and help everyone judge for themselves:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

White Automotive design Material property Gas Font

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Office equipment Machine

Gadget Office equipment Automotive design Eyewear Fashion accessory

Photograph Finger Camera lens Gadget Camera

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like that.

Question, since the slide release sits below the level of the TS, when the TS is down/off-safe, whats your method of hitting the release with your right-side thumb? From the last pic, it looks like you could curl the end of your thumb down.

I also like to use my strong side hand to release the slide on most guns and this sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to a range report

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Jiman01

Good question! On 1911s (and CZs), when I raise and cant the gun for a reload, I am able to get my thumb kind of under/around/parallel with the TS and actuate the release (see pic below). Occasionally this causes a slight alteration to my grip but nothing too difficult to adjust for when going back on target. That was my hope with this 2011 extended SSSR.

To your point, it appears I may be able to use my standard method (mentioned above) because the SSSR is also kind of wide. However, I also noticed that I MAY be able to come down over the TS to actuate it that way, too. In dry fire that seemed like it would work...once I get to the range and do some reps I will see if that is actually practical.

Finger Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Metal

·
Registered
ACW Hi-cap is the latest one.
535 Posts
Wonder if Atlas could or would blend it or soften the edges to make it match the safeties? My unsolicited opinion only but on as nice a weapon as that atlas is it looks a bit out of place in its current state. BUT if it works as you intended it to that trumps the looks.

Either way, nice find for those looking for something like this.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ToledoUPSguy

I don’t necessarily disagree that it could “look” better. As you realize these are just a “one size fits all” look (after fitting them) and I will take function over form ANY DAY. I do wish it was the same DLC coloring (that may have helped a bit) but it is what it is. I may have that done down the line if my OCD kicks in too much lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brief update: did not make it to the range until Monday and even then I was only able to shoot a little bit due to time constraints. Since it was an indoor range I was not able to do much but I can say that reloads and dropping the slide was a much better experience for me, more like my 1911s. On Friday I plan to hit our open range and do a lot more dynamic stuff where I can test it more thoroughly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts