1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyesight is not what it use to be and I have the burning desire for a high quality 2011 which will be for next few years range shooting and home defense and eventually when I get time some competition.

I like nice quality firearms and I really want to get something that I will be my last purchase.

I have been reading reviews/comments about the following 2 firearms the Atlas Athena and Staccato XC seeing they both have the iron sights and also RDS compatible which I will probably get a Trijicon SRO.

I know the Athena is about $1,000 more than the Staccato which I don鈥檛 have a problem spending more seeing it is a quality firearm.

I guess I need to get my hands on them to decide.

For those who have shot or own both other than price what are the pros/cons?

Thanks in advance and pictures are always welcome so I can drool as I read the comments 馃い

Registered
The only con to the Atlas is the price. The only pro to the Staccato is the price.

In all sincerity they are not in the same realm as far as fit, finish, or quality. The Staccato is a nice pistol, but it's not anywhere on the same level as Atlas. This was readily apparent when picking them up. The Atlas grip system was incredibly comfortable but also stable when shooting and form fitting. The Staccato plastic grip, not so much. Cycling the action or dry firing highlights the differences in fit/finish as well, again, nod going to Atlas. If you want a compensator, the XC will be the cheapest 2011 option to do so.

Premium Member
I agree with sideways, the Atlas guns are on another level in terms of both price and quality. I have an Athena and not even my Alien shoots as flat as it does. The only thing I would add would be if you鈥檙e looking for the Atlas equivalent of the XC, that would be the Erebus. If you can justify the money, Atlas all day.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with sideways, the Atlas guns are on another level in terms of both price and quality. I have an Athena and not even my Alien shoots as flat as it does. The only thing I would add would be if you鈥檙e looking for the Atlas equivalent of the XC, that would be the Erebus. If you can justify the money, Atlas all day. View attachment 836213
Yeah the more I think about it the more I want the Atlas Athena I don鈥檛 need the compensator. That one you have is stunning 馃槏 thank you for posting a picture of it for me. I like the stainless look or is that hard chromed? Looks like it would be very durable鈥 am now torn between this on and the DLC version.

I gotta get my hands on one before I buy. I looked at several shops here in Phoenix area and nobody had an Atlas.

Premium Member
Yeah the more I think about it the more I want the Atlas Athena I don鈥檛 need the compensator. That one you have is stunning 馃槏 thank you for posting a picture of it for me. I like the stainless look or is that hard chromed? Looks like it would be very durable鈥 am now torn between this on and the DLC version.

I gotta get my hands on one before I buy. I looked at several shops here in Phoenix area and nobody had an Atlas.
It is Hard Chrome! And I initially wanted the DLC coating myself until I saw this one in person. If you're on the fence at all about what options you would like on your pistol I highly recommend that you contact Atlas and talk to Morgan. She is an absolute gem and has a plethora of knowledge on these guns and what will work for you. Personally I would recommend getting one with the sub 2lb trigger even if you don't plan on competing...it is pure buttery glass.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is Hard Chrome! And I initially wanted the DLC coating myself until I saw this one in person. If you're on the fence at all about what options you would like on your pistol I highly recommend that you contact Atlas and talk to Morgan. She is an absolute gem and has a plethora of knowledge on these guns and what will work for you. Personally I would recommend getting one with the sub 2lb trigger even if you don't plan on competing...it is pure buttery glass.
Thanks for the info I still have to sell a few guns I don鈥檛 really want or shoot. I am halfway there so won鈥檛 be too long before I can buy one.

I will probably get the light trigger and I definitely want to optics option...does it come with the adjustable sights as well when you order the RDS plate?

I am drooling over here that Athena you have it is so nice鈥ou don鈥檛 need it do you? seeing you have an Alien 馃槈

Premium Member
Thanks for the info I still have to sell a few guns I don鈥檛 really want or shoot. I am halfway there so won鈥檛 be too long before I can buy one.

I will probably get the light trigger and I definitely want to optics option...does it come with the adjustable sights as well when you order the RDS plate?

I am drooling over here that Athena you have it is so nice鈥ou don鈥檛 need it do you? seeing you have an Alien 馃槈
It comes with the removable Dawson adjustable rear and fiber optic front standard. You do have to order the optics plates separately (they're around 100 dollars). Haha, I'm currently not interested in letting it go but I will definitely let you know if that ever changes :D. You rarely if ever see Atlas guns come up for sale secondhand...most people who have them hold onto them.

Registered
I played with a Staccato and a Wilson EDC side by side. Then had my wife (unfamiliar with pistols of this caliber) do the same.

We both agreed the Staccato felt rougher and almost unfinished in fit and trigger pull. Wilson hands down. I wanted to like the Staccato for a variety of reasons, but the Wilson EDC was better in literally every way. I just feel the Staccato is over rated based on price point primarily.

IMHO I'd go Atlas.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Not to throw a wrench between the two solid choices that you listed but have you considered a chambers? I have not handled an atlas so I will not try to compare the two together. Only reason I even mentioned it was bc the price difference is only ~$600 give or take between the atlas and a chambers.

Font Circle Gun barrel Rectangle Gramophone record

Registered
Between the XC and just about any Atlas, I'd step up to the Atlas. If you're just looking for something fun to shoot, the Erebus would be my pick. The drawback to the XC is it's near twice the price of the Staccato P making the P a much better value. That doesn't sound like that's high on your list of priorities though.

The Athena doesn't fit well into any current USPSA division and the Staccato doesn't either. They also don't technically fit in any current IDPA divisions either but the 4.25" limit on "heavy" barrel lengths have been unofficially lifted. I'd argue that if you're new to competition shooting just go shoot whatever gun you want to shoot for at least the first year and worry about your equipment down the road. It'll be a long time before it's your equipment holding you back.

Premium Member
I agree with what everyone is saying, with that said, you can now shoot an Atlas Athena in IDPA both ESP and CO (I know, I just shot nationals in CO with my Athena!)

The Staccato鈥檚 have their place, but the XC is a lot more in comparison to a non compensated 2011, but when you compare it to a Erebus it has a little more palatable price point!

I am a huge fan of all 2011鈥

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Wood Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory
Between the XC and just about any Atlas, I'd step up to the Atlas. If you're just looking for something fun to shoot, the Erebus would be my pick. The drawback to the XC is it's near twice the price of the Staccato P making the P a much better value. That doesn't sound like that's high on your list of priorities though.

The Athena doesn't fit well into any current USPSA division and the Staccato doesn't either. They also don't technically fit in any current IDPA divisions either but the 4.25" limit on "heavy" barrel lengths have been unofficially lifted. I'd argue that if you're new to competition shooting just go shoot whatever gun you want to shoot for at least the first year and worry about your equipment down the road. It'll be a long time before it's your equipment holding you back.

Premium Member
I have a several Staccato and Atlas pistols including the Athena. The closest thing I have to the XC is an old school STI DVC Omni.

If price point isn't a factor, I'd choose an Atlas all day long. The fit, finish, and performance is just hard to beat at any price point.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like there is going to be an Atlas Athena in my future. Thanks everyone for comments the more I look at and watch videos on the Athena the more I want it.

Registered
Have said this before - Bought a Staccato and was so excited to get one. In the first week of owning it, I shot an Atlas and sold my Staccato in 48hrs. Bought an Athena in hard chrome and mounted a SRO - there is NOTHING in this world like it and angels sing after each round fired. The quality of the gun and parts is mind boggling. It looks brand new still after 3k rounds (even the barrel). There is nothing more beautiful....Welcome to the team :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have said this before - Bought a Staccato and was so excited to get one. In the first week of owning it, I shot an Atlas and sold my Staccato in 48hrs. Bought an Athena in hard chrome and mounted a SRO - there is NOTHING in this world like it and angels sing after each round fired. The quality of the gun and parts is mind boggling. It looks brand new still after 3k rounds (even the barrel). There is nothing more beautiful....Welcome to the team :)
Pictures are worth a thousand words鈥ost a picture pleaseeeeeeeee.

so in your opinion is the Hard Chrome more durable and easier to clean? I do like the looks of the Hard Chrome.

Chambers Custom Owners Club
Not to throw a wrench between the two solid choices that you listed but have you considered a chambers? I have not handled an atlas so I will not try to compare the two together. Only reason I even mentioned it was bc the price difference is only ~$600 give or take between the atlas and a chambers.

View attachment 836399
Yup! I would 100% go this route鈥
Handwriting Font Office supplies Revolver Gun barrel

Registered
Pictures are worth a thousand words鈥ost a picture pleaseeeeeeeee.

so in your opinion is the Hard Chrome more durable and easier to clean? I do like the looks of the Hard Chrome.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

I was concerned about the Chrome when I first ordered it. After months of continuous training: daily dry fire, weekly range time all in a holster - there are zero marks on the chrome. "Hard chrome" is a legit process and the results exceeded what I understood about chrome on guns. Cleaning is fairly easy, and when I am done I use a microfiber cloth to give it the glow. I know a lot of people like the blacked out look, but why not be just a lil diff?? Oh, and if you decide to "red dot" it, Altas recommends the SRO and now that I have been shooting with it, I am spoiled. Other dots are just ehhh to me. My opinion of course

Chambers Custom Owners Club
Does he offer an aluminum/stainless grip option?
I鈥檓 sure he 鈥渃ould鈥 offer one鈥 that鈥檚 a call to Joe and conversation that you guys would need to have. It鈥檚 certainly not something that鈥檚 done regularly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 836890
I was concerned about the Chrome when I first ordered it. After months of continuous training: daily dry fire, weekly range time all in a holster - there are zero marks on the chrome. "Hard chrome" is a legit process and the results exceeded what I understood about chrome on guns. Cleaning is fairly easy, and when I am done I use a microfiber cloth to give it the glow. I know a lot of people like the blacked out look, but why not be just a lil diff?? Oh, and if you decide to "red dot" it, Altas recommends the SRO and now that I have been shooting with it, I am spoiled. Other dots are just ehhh to me. My opinion of course
OMFG that is absolutely gorgeous and with that SRO 馃い. Thank you so much for sharing that picture with me. I am so wanting an Athena so bad. It will be worth the wait once I have all the money saved up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts