Auto engaging safety

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JandLCustoms, Nov 13, 2018.

1. JandLCustoms

JandLCustoms I have many leather bound books Supporting Addict

May 9, 2018
    A buddy of mine requested I figure out how to make his safety auto engage. (Yes I know, skip it) apparently it’s done on some race guns to prevent disqualification from safety disengaging in accident i don’t know honestly.

Anyways, I figured it out and figured I would share because I found it interesting. I used a sear pin shaped down to replace the safety detention. I also changed the angle it hits the safety at to push it up. It still acts and functions as it should. The only difference is it engages if not being held down.

john_anch_ak likes this.
  2. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
    I bigger safety lever could probably help to keep it down, right?

3. DPVY

DPVY Previously DPCC

Dec 1, 2017
    That's pretty nifty.

I'm not sure what he's talking about regarding competition though... no one uses anything like that, at least from what I've seen.

4. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    Yeah this what just a junk one I tested it on. His is a wide lever ambi safety

5. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    No idea not a world I’ve jumped into yet

6. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
  7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    On my 1911s I contour the thumb safety so that the least little pressure on the bottom of it snaps it up.

I don't do it for safety reasons, I just want it to engage with little effort. Not sure why, but I've been doing this for years.

8. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    That makes sense to me. As long as it has to snap off I'm good.

9. Ned Christiansen

Ned Christiansen Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I never heard of that in competition or otherwise but I must say, clever of you to find a solution to you customer's request..... that's what custom is all about, right? Good job.

10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Yes, it 'snaps' when pressed down. I like to hear and feel when the safety disengages. :)

11. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    So, contrary to popular belief, it is desire, backed by cash, that is the mother of invention.;)

Seriously, though, great job working that out.:thumbs:

12. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    Thanks! Haha I was quite surprised how easy it was. Only took about 20 minutes of grinding and filing and I found out using the sear pin isn't necessary it just makes it pop up harder/quicker

WC145 and wrmiller like this.
  13. PaulS

PaulS New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Just to add some info as to why someone would want this, in 3 gun competitions, firearms are abandoned in designated areas when you transition to the next firearm. It either has to be completely empty or safety on. There have been instances where a competitor engages the safety, but when dropped into the bucket or placed on the table, the safety was bumped and disengaged resulting in a disqualification. This modification would help prevent that from happening.

WC145 and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    That's what my buddy was saying. However, he doesn't shoot 3-gun so his motivation is lost on me haha

15. PaulS

PaulS New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Well, sometimes want is stronger than need!
    Great work though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted