Auto Ordnance 1911 Question

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Kent Williams, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Howdy All,
    I have owned an Auto Ordnance basic GI 1911 for over a year and it has passed all the shooting tests we conducted for our Service Side Arm except the 10,000 round reliability test. It’s a Series 70 W/O a firing pin safety.
    Question: I am considering purchasing another and would very much like to know how Much a Series 80 model with a firing pin safety would likely affect the trigger pull.

Respectfully,
    -kent

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Mike A likes this.
  2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I have 2 S80s & 5 S70s can't really tell any difference. All Colts.

3. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Colt series 80 guns seem to not have as much drag as some others out of the box (like Sig). I have managed to get Sig guns and Remington guns to feel like a Colt, but really nothing beats a series 70 gun especially if you like to tune out pre-travel.

4. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Thanks Gentlemen, I like the firing pin block / safety so my 1911 can be cocked and locked (Condition 1), but as I stated I was concerned what affect it would have on the trigger pull. At F.L.E.T.C. We heard of an AD with a 1911 with the thumb safety on. I asked the armorers about that and they explained that even with the thumb safety on a 1911 can fire if the hammer and sear have been modified incorrectly.

I decided that for fun I would shoot an accurized 1911 that the armorer said would shoot winthin 1.5 “ at 50 yards from a machine rest in the SE Regoinal PPC match. Since semi-autos were a new thing in PPC I was assigned to the farthest right target so that the ejected brass would not rain down on other copetitors. Match #1 (shoot 6, reload and shoot 6 in 25 seconds; both at 7 and 15 yards. (I would have loaded 7 in the first magazine and 5 in the second, but they required that I shoot 6 + 6.)

At 7 yards there were 12 X’s, but at 15 yards I fired 6, reloaded with 6 and then dropped the slide. The hammer followed, sheared th safety notch an discharged into the right shoulder of the target!

We “buddy” scored and a nice police woman scored mine as 240 22X. (Possible is 240 on match 1) Trust me, the hardest things I have ever done at a match was to point out the bullet hole in the target’s shoulder.

I returned the match grade 1911 to the armorer an after afixing it in the machine rest with 5 rounds of match ammo he pressed the trigger. The 1911 went full auto with 1 on the target, 1 in the trees and 3 over the back stop. Amazing!

-kent

5. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    'Armorer' vs 'competent pistolsmith'.
    There is a lesson here.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    John Moses Browning designed one of the most reliable & safest pistols the world has ever seen. However like any machine it can be screwed up by people who do not understand the limits.
    No mater how hard we try to make a machine fool proof. It will not work If you do not understand how far to take the original safety designs that were built into it.

Thousands of 1911s have been modified for Competition & have worked safely without any problems.
    I read some where that the success between a safe 1911 & an
    unsafe 1911 is a single stroke of the file. How true that is.

As an Armorer for my teams M1As I stayed within the limits of
    my training. An Armorer or gunsmith must never forget, their first responsibility is to their shooters safety.
    So S70 or S80 it matters not if the modifications are outside the bounds of any safe designs.
    The S80 design came about because of a very rare situation that caused the 1911 to fire without a pull of the trigger. I have been around 1911s most of my life, & have never seen this happen.
    Good luck with your future 1911 adventures.

7. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
  8. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Good thing your range safety protocol is up to snuff. I don't like, or use, extremely low hammer hooks, min. sear length, etc. I prefer smooth to light. I've never had a problem with series 80 fps. good on you for being safe. I realize this is strictly enforce where you shoot but....
    Mr. Pistolwrench hit nail squarely

BenchMonkey likes this.
  9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I listened to a lot of internet chatter about series 70 vs series 80 and also the problems with the Kimber schwartz safety. Had a Kimber II that never gave me any problems but mostly have "70 Series" pistols Older Colts that are actually pre-series 70 and Les Baers, a Ruger, an original Kimber . . . Was really interested in the Colt SCG from the custom shop but was leery of the 80's series additional parts . . . A pistolsmith I really respect told not to worry I probably wouldn't even notice any difference . . . he was right.

10. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    The Series 80 type firing pin obstruction will add maybe a quarter of a pound, even less, IF PROPERLY SET UP.

11. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018

12. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Thanks much gentlemen. The Auto-Ordnance 1911 will be headed back the factory tomorrow, Lord willing. It will indeed be interesting to see the difference between it and it’s Series 70 brother when it comes back. - kw

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted