Auto Ordnance 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Kent Williams, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    2331EDD7-4B35-4E9C-8828-6DCB25619065.jpeg I have an Auto Ordnance plain Jane 1911 that I really like. It has diminutive sights, the original 1911 safety and a trigger pull exactly like the 1911’s I carried in the USN. And...It prints POA/POI at 25 yards with 230 ball ammo. It is what is called a “Series 70”, in that is it has no firing pin block.

I liked it so much that I ordered another and it still showed that it had no firing pin safety just like the one I have. (The firing pin block model was $10.00 more.) It arrived at the local gun store and I didn’t even try it, just signed for it, paid the transfer fee and left the store. Some time later (I was feeling a bit poorly) I took it out of the box, took out the blaze orange chamber flag, dropped the slide and pulled the trigger. And... I pulled the trigger and I kept pulling. I even looked at the thumb safety thinking that it was on, but no. Finally, I am guessing at about ten pounds of “rocky road” the hammer fell! Wow! I tried it again with the same result. Hmm...so I tried the old armorer’s trick of pressing forward on the hammer while pulling trigger, but no change.

I then removed the slide and found that it was a series 80 type with a pin block.(?) So I boxed it up, called Auto Ordnance and they said that all their 1911’s were now series 80. Hoping that somehow my 1911 was a lemon I sent it back with a note explaining why. It came back a few days ago, and I took it out, took out out the chamber flag, dropped the slide and still ~ (estimate) 10 pounds of rocky road! (No change) The note included with the Auto Ordnance std. 1911 said, “Test fired, lubed, checked out OK.” (?)

So, it’s going back to the gun store for resale at a much reduced price. I have no clue if it will sell, but I am going to give it a shot. - kw

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Which gun store and where is it? I scoot on down there and scarf it up

3. The Mulberrian

The Mulberrian Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Yeah 10# is a CRAZY stiff trigger.
    Id be pi$$ed!

xerts1191 and BennyAdeline like this.
  4. Les White

Les White Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Auto Ordnance is now owned by Kahr. I have not dealt with their customer service but I am very pleased with the two Kahrs I own. I am surprised and disappointed that your experience was a bad one. You might consider installing an ignition kit from Ed Brown or John Harrison instead of taking a hit on the sell price. The 80 Series safety is not a bad thing and those parts can be polished for smoother operation. Good luck and please don't make that your last 1911. There are many good choices out there.

xerts1191 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Get a good action job. S80 doesn't equal bad/heavy triggers. If you don't want the S80 parts you can remove them, they sell a shim for that.

xerts1191 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  6. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    El Perdido (ha-ha). I spent 33 years in the US Border Patrol, por eso entiendo.

Well if’n you were near Charleston, SC , that would work. ;)

-kent

xerts1191 likes this.
  7. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    As others have recommended you can make the trigger superb for way less that the hit you will take reselling it, even if you pay someone else to do it.

xerts1191 likes this.
  8. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Dragon,
    I thought about that, but a smart prosecutor can use that in shooting incident even in a open and shut self defense case. He will state that one or more safety features have been bypassed by the defendant so that he / she can use it better in a gun fight.
    Sounds dumb, but after I retired (33 years US Border Patrol) I testified in a murder case as an expert witness and to a jury, a prosecutor’s claim that the defendant was looking for a gun fight, will seem to have merit, especially if they are not checked out on firearms.
    If he contacts Auto Ordnance an discovers that all the 1911’s that they produce have the firing pin block (A safety feature) and that the defendant disabled that feature for less than honorable reasons and states that in court a jury can begin to have doubts about the defendant’s motives. Not good...

xerts1191 likes this.
  9. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Double edged sword no doubt!

10. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Yep. They really had no case and sadly the judge was good friends with the plaintiff and would go over to their side and hob knob with them during recess. The prosecution asked me a bunch of questions and then placed the revolver (that had been used in the shooting) in front of me and walked away. I looked down and it was cocked. Just on pure instinct ( I had served as a Firearms Instructor for the US Border Patrol at the federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) for 9 years.) I picked up the 3” Speed Six, uncocked it , opened the cylinder and placed it back on the rail. The prosecutor suddenly spun around, looked at the safe revolver, stopped for a second and then said, “No further questions.” :)

xerts1191 likes this.
  11. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    KW, AJbello has a series 70 Colt for sale on the site right now!

12. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I would then have my expert explain how such an improvement would result in better control and accuracy. I would not disable the safety though, just polish it.

13. Kent Williams

Kent Williams Member

Nov 23, 2018

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted