Auto Ordnance is now high quality

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Bobthemotorcycle, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Bobthemotorcycle

Bobthemotorcycle New Member

Jan 25, 2012

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    "one of the best made 1911's out there"

That is one heck of a statement.
    :eek:

3. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    I know the sales manager at Kahr/Auto Ordnance. When I talked to her at a distributor show a few years back she told me the frame is cast and the slide is barstock. They may have gone to a barstock frame, but that still doesn't mean "forged" as you mentioned. They are a decent enough base gun.

I'm not a huge believer in forged over anything else when it comes to .45 caliber 1911's. Caspian frames hold up just great for what they are. When shooting for dimensional accuracy in machining, billet frames and slides have the ability to be more consistent than anything else. Early Les Baer frames and slides, and Rock River frames and slides were made by LMT and were extremely consistent. Those were all billet steel.

4. alias

alias Dremel jockey

Aug 18, 2011
    Bob,
    How many Auto-Ords have you inspected? Surely you wouldn't say something like this
    based on just the one that you own?

5. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    This is sounding like an infomercial. Does it come with a sham-wow?

6. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
  7. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I had a pet donkey once. It was very well made.

8. carljc72

Sep 27, 2011
    You ever have any Failure to Feed issues with that thing...:tongueout:

9. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah. One time with hay.

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    The only thing I am going to say about Auto-Ord is they HAVE improved in overall fit,finish and reliably since the "moonies" bought them out.

Now,my shop only sends 1 in 5 back for FTF or major FTE problems. :rolleyes2:

And no matter who says what about AO,they have to admit their CS isn't anywhere close to Springfield's.

DAT85

11. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith

Sep 11, 2011
    I worked on one...once...a couple two years ago. All I will say is... NEVER AGAIN! I'd take a RIA over an AO any day! But that's just my opinion based on having to work on ONE example...but that was enough...heck, I'd take that Donkey over an AO! LOL!

12. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    The old models were rough as a corn cob.At least EXTERNALLY,their cleaning up their act.

The first ones I remember were sold by SARCO back in the '80's.They were very crudely finished and totally out of spec.Nothing seemed to fit right on the guns and internally they were loaded with tool marks and had a crude park finish that was uneven at the best.

So,I guess you could say the have improved......a bit.

DAT85

13. carljc72

Sep 27, 2011
    Ok, I think I am gonna run a poll:

AO or donkey?

14. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    IN FIRST!!!!

Donkey.

DAT85 :biggrin1:

15. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy

Aug 21, 2011
    I just coated one and the casting on the lower was awful. I will try to take some pics.

16. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    But there is no way it is cast according toth op! I will stick with caspian.

17. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    With all due respect sir, it sounds like you are trying to sell their 1911s. Are you employee there or work on commission?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  18. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'll take a donkley, its hay and an AO with a corn cob textured FS

19. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    It definitely sucked, but after doing it for 23 years I can't imagine a better career field. Would I do it again? Probably not. SF works longer than any other career field, has worse hours, always in the elements, have longer deployments (by several months) and get **** on by everyone. Not a "fun" or "glamorous" career field by any means. But, we get to see combat whereas most USAF members don't.

20. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Sir, I really hope you are right and the quality has improved as much as you say. In my opinion the AO 1911 is a good looking 1911, and if they quality is good it would make a very good project gun; unfortunately their quality has always been very poor. I think the main problem here is your statement, "If people can get past the fact that they are an 80 series type pistol they may realize that Auto Ordnance is producing one of the best made 1911's out there and at an entry level price"; that is a very strong statement.

I have not handled an AO recently and I do not own a RIA either, but I shoot 2 RIAs Government quite often and they have always worked flawlessly; I think the RIA is a very good gun for the money.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted