1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is the first day in several weeks I’ve been able to hike the back yard and shoot. As I get to the top of the mountain I hear a very loud huff/snort and my dog Copper is off like a rocket. Instantly the woods explode into crashing hooves and breaking branches. I am not sure how big the herd was, but there was definitely a lot of commotion.

It didn’t take me long to get Copper back and finish the now short distance to my pistol range. As I am walking I hear something off in the distance. I stand still for a few moments and then the unmistakable sound of elk bugling became clear.

I have hunted deer and elk for many years, but have long said my elk tag is simply a donation to the state as I never see elk in my territory (I hunt where I live). Deer is almost a guarantee but elk is another story. I’ve actually passed on opening morning bucks because I wanted more time out of the house and in the woods!

Because Elk are so scarce in my neck of the woods, I have never experienced their bugling live. Copper and I spent about an hour and a half following, sitting, and listening to them. We were in a very heavily wooded part of the mountain and I suspect I was within a few hundred yards of them.

It was a good day at the range too. Put the 1,800th round through my DW Stan Chen Heritage. I’m working on finding a target load using 200 gr lswc and bullseye powder.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fabulous! Better than running into a lion or bear
Oh, I have some bear stories too! Thankfully, I’ve only knowingly been in the presence of lions once, and I was in the car. I am certain I’ve been watched a time or two though.

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
Oh, I have some bear stories too! Thankfully, I’ve only knowingly been in the presence of lions once, and I was in the car. I am certain I’ve been watched a time or two though.
We have Bobcats and Cougars here (not the human female kind). I don't bother them and they don't bother me. We have 2 bears locally but only once since I moved here did I hear one. They usually stay at least a mile over.

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
We have bobcats and the occasional rare bear. Usually have to shoo the deer off my back yard range to be able to use it. The river now has alligators, that took some getting used to.
Claymore works wonders! :)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Cougar and smaller cats along with coyotes and wolves create a lot of chaos and sometimes fun around here. Black bear are here, but not as common as I'd have thought. This guy was staring down one of my dogs, far too close to where my daughter plays last Friday but it looks like he must have had a fall(he also reminded me why a .22 may not be enough). It's a shame what has happened to 80% of CO's elk population, but environmental loons were able to install wolves that never lived there in the first place to chop the herds up and 25 years on it is done.

I can very much appreciate where you live and your range. I refer to mine as a "shootin' hole" and it was the cinder pit of a mill that closed in 1929. Here the mule deer is king. Because we are on their most extreme western border, we occasionally see pronghorn antelope in the mountains but lone animals rather than herds. I can go and sit under a tree in the forest and if I'm still and quiet it is amazing how many animals will walk past within an hour or two.
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Tree
Road surface Terrestrial animal Asphalt Pest Marsupial

·
born in the wrong century
5,881 Posts
So today is the first day in several weeks I’ve been able to hike the back yard and shoot. As I get to the top of the mountain I hear a very loud huff/snort and my dog Copper is off like a rocket. Instantly the woods explode into crashing hooves and breaking branches. I am not sure how big the herd was, but there was definitely a lot of commotion.

It didn’t take me long to get Copper back and finish the now short distance to my pistol range. As I am walking I hear something off in the distance. I stand still for a few moments and then the unmistakable sound of elk bugling became clear.

I have hunted deer and elk for many years, but have long said my elk tag is simply a donation to the state as I never see elk in my territory (I hunt where I live). Deer is almost a guarantee but elk is another story. I’ve actually passed on opening morning bucks because I wanted more time out of the house and in the woods!

Because Elk are so scarce in my neck of the woods, I have never experienced their bugling live. Copper and I spent about an hour and a half following, sitting, and listening to them. We were in a very heavily wooded part of the mountain and I suspect I was within a few hundred yards of them.

It was a good day at the range too. Put the 1,800th round through my DW Stan Chen Heritage. I’m working on finding a target load using 200 gr lswc and bullseye powder.

Perfect morning.

Sounds like an ideal place to live.

Great pistol and I like where you are headed. 200gr lswc are a pie of fun each and every range trip.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cougar and smaller cats along with coyotes and wolves create a lot of chaos and sometimes fun around here. Black bear are here, but not as common as I'd have thought. This guy was staring down one of my dogs, far too close to where my daughter plays last Friday but it looks like he must have had a fall(he also reminded me why a .22 may not be enough). It's a shame what has happened to 80% of CO's elk population, but environmental loons were able to install wolves that never lived there in the first place to chop the herds up and 25 years on it is done.

I can very much appreciate where you live and your range. I refer to mine as a "shootin' hole" and it was the cinder pit of a mill that closed in 1929. Here the mule deer is king. Because we are on their most extreme western border, we occasionally see pronghorn antelope in the mountains but lone animals rather than herds. I can go and sit under a tree in the forest and if I'm still and quiet it is amazing how many animals will walk past within an hour or two. View attachment 819973 . View attachment 819967
I think our locations share some similarities, but I think I prefer your “shooting hole!” Holy cow man, you could get busy there for sure. Mine is but a pistol range, but I do have places to shoot my rifles of course.

What is not similar…that badger or whatever that killer is! I’ve never encountered one of those and from the looks hope to keep that streak, and myself, alive!

Perfect morning.

Sounds like an ideal place to live.

Great pistol and I like where you are headed. 200gr lswc are a pie of fun each and every range trip.
I do love my home, despite the not so gradual transformation into little California. I ignore all that as best I can and do what I do and seem to get along pretty well that way.

My Stan Chen Heritage is one of my favorite pistols to both shoot and fondle! Up until recently I had only really put the DW 500 round break-in rounds through it. I was inspired by a thread showing off a high mileage ACW and decided I was going to stop sprinkling rounds across many pistols and just start shooting a few exclusively. The Stan Chen was the easy choice.

I do enjoy the 200 gr swc and was happy to find the OAL that had worked in all my prior 1911s was also perfect for the Stan Chen as it has been a while since I have used that particular bullet. I had been using a 200 gr rnfp for the last several years and I really couldn’t tell you why I ever switched. Knowing me, there was a sale of some sort.

I also never used Bullseye powder, but I have 6lbs of it and anxious to experiment because I’ve heard all good things about the powder. I also have an 8lb keg of Accurate #5 to play with, but I am reserving that for the Zero 185 gr JHP I have. For the sake of my wallet, I really hope to find no distinguishable accuracy difference between the SWC and the JHP.

·
born in the wrong century
5,881 Posts
I think our locations share some similarities, but I think I prefer your “shooting hole!” Holy cow man, you could get busy there for sure. Mine is but a pistol range, but I do have places to shoot my rifles of course.

What is not similar…that badger or whatever that killer is! I’ve never encountered one of those and from the looks hope to keep that streak, and myself, alive!

I do love my home, despite the not so gradual transformation into little California. I ignore all that as best I can and do what I do and seem to get along pretty well that way.

My Stan Chen Heritage is one of my favorite pistols to both shoot and fondle! Up until recently I had only really put the DW 500 round break-in rounds through it. I was inspired by a thread showing off a high mileage ACW and decided I was going to stop sprinkling rounds across many pistols and just start shooting a few exclusively. The Stan Chen was the easy choice.

I do enjoy the 200 gr swc and was happy to find the OAL that had worked in all my prior 1911s was also perfect for the Stan Chen as it has been a while since I have used that particular bullet. I had been using a 200 gr rnfp for the last several years and I really couldn’t tell you why I ever switched. Knowing me, there was a sale of some sort.

I also never used Bullseye powder, but I have 6lbs of it and anxious to experiment because I’ve heard all good things about the powder. I also have an 8lb keg of Accurate #5 to play with, but I am reserving that for the Zero 185 gr JHP I have. For the sake of my wallet, I really hope to find no distinguishable accuracy difference between the SWC and the JHP.

I never understood the safe queening of guns. I see many unfired guns flipped on the classified section of Addicts...all the time. To each his own....but I hope to wear all of mine out...or at least try to do so. :LOL:

I want to shoot 'em all and shoot them often. Trying my best to get to the point where I can keep my presses running to crank out accurate loads for them while still acquiring primers & powder when it's available.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
When my dogs huff and take off, its a feral cat. Welcome to city life. :(
I've shot three feral cats this month. I can only imagine what the cat population is like in certain cities, but ten years in I am still surprised by how many are out here.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts

Bullseye is great powder. It is relatively dirty, but it's been a top powder for over 100 years. Your choice of AA#5 is excellent. The AA#'s 2, 5, 7 & 9 are wonderful and meter like proverbial water. My experience is that generally 200gr. SWC's are more accurate, but you should be able to work up great loads with both powders and bullets.

I love my home as well and can relate to many of the problems you describe. It is rugged and the Klamath Tribes keep the place hard enough that those thinking they will bring their sensibilities with them get laughed out before they buy in or turn and head back to SoCal within a year. We can protect our backyard(s), but the (in)actions of 350 million Americans is out of our hands. Oh, and the badgers are bad news, bud. If you see one, get ready and if you have a dog, it's probably already going down by the time the alarm bells go off. The Mike Tyson of the animal world, right there. Don't let them inside or they will get in and it's over(just like Iron Mike). Make them punch long, if possible.....or just shoot 'em.

Can you please tell me about your Chen DW? I am such a huge fan of his and I swear if my wife would let me I'd have a poster of him on my wall like he was Farrah Fawcett. Have you met the man? What work was done to your gun? Has anyone ever REALLY tried to talk you out of it? All jokes aside(unless you do want to sell it), what did you have done to the gun and don't you also have one of the Colt Custom Carry Commander(I think I'm forgetting a "C") guns with all the Chen parts? There are a few smith's that make me insane with desire(for their guns, let's be clear) and Mr. Chen is way up there. I really like the way he and his family seem to do things together and I really wish I could just hang out with him for an hour or two. He has done much for the custom end of our Addiction and the parts he produces top notch. I really wish I had a Chen full custom, but I have come to terms with the fact that it will never happen. I wrote a thread just yesterday about Stan "ruining my birthday" in the 1911 Photo Gallery section. If you don't mind, I'd love to see a photo of your Chen gun, Sir.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I definitely do not understand safe queens! Many guns that I have purchased were unfired, but did not stay that way but for an hour or two once in my possession. My trouble has become I’ve collected more guns than I’ve got time to shoot them all!

I am also a big fan of Stan Chen and what he does. I do have and carry the Colt/Chen collaboration. It is a great pistol too. I have never met him in person, but did have one lengthy, personal phone call with him. Unfortunately the purpose of the call was Stan informing me that he was having to send my Heritage back because he was having to cease his machining operation. He gave the details of why, which he did not have to, and I’ve not shared.

I lucked into one of the very few, but only I am personally aware of, Dan Wesson Heritage that he worked on a month or two after my pistol was returned. Armslist strikes again! Brand new, unfired, and fresh back from Stan’s shop in Durango. The guy was working on an AR project or something and needed the cash. I called the shop and Stan agreed to send me a new, unpersonalized build-sheet so I would have one not in the prior owner’s name. It was like it was meant to be. I wish I could get him to fit his grip safety, thumb safety, and rear sight with a Yost gold line front.

Here is a recent range pic and a few glamour iPhone shots from the day I brought her home.

Nature Air gun Revolver Wood Vegetation

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Wood Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Door

Wood Orange Tints and shades Beige Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I definitely do not understand safe queens! Many guns that I have purchased were unfired, but did not stay that way but for an hour or two once in my possession. My trouble has become I’ve collected more guns than I’ve got time to shoot them all!

I am also a big fan of Stan Chen and what he does. I do have and carry the Colt/Chen collaboration. It is a great pistol too. I have never met him in person, but did have one lengthy, personal phone call with him. Unfortunately the purpose of the call was Stan informing me that he was having to send my Heritage back because he was having to cease his machining operation. He gave the details of why, which he did not have to, and I’ve not shared.

I lucked into one of the very few, but only I am personally aware of, Dan Wesson Heritage that he worked on a month or two after my pistol was returned. Armslist strikes again! Brand new, unfired, and fresh back from Stan’s shop in Durango. The guy was working on an AR project or something and needed the cash. I called the shop and Stan agreed to send me a new, unpersonalized build-sheet so I would have one not in the prior owner’s name. It was like it was meant to be. I wish I could get him to fit his grip safety, thumb safety, and rear sight with a Yost gold line front.

Here is a recent range pic and a few glamour iPhone shots from the day I brought her home.

View attachment 820696

View attachment 820697

View attachment 820698

View attachment 820699
Wow. I didn't know he ceased his machining operation and that is almost heartbreaking.

Your Heritage is absolutely beautiful and I am green with jealousy. That is a great story of how it got to you as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, hard to describe the disappointment I felt when I opened the box up when it was returned.

I think his website still has the machine options listed, but as “out of stock” or some other “notify me” category, so perhaps it hasn’t been taken off the table completely. His business has changed considerably since all of this happened in late 2018.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts