Back round Check

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by nomad, Nov 16, 2011.

1. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    If you ship a pistol to a gunsmith through an FFL,When the pistol is returned do you have to go through the back round check to get you gun ? Asking if its the law or just up to the FFL holder.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    it's technically still YOUR gun, so no need for it to return thru a FFL.

Springfield have returned my guns directly to me. Just need to have a 21+ year old to sign for it.

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think it is different if you go from FFL to FFL though... as I know they have to log it. I am sure a gunsmith will be along at some point to let you know.

4. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    If you're the original owner of a firearm, and ship it out for repair, and it's returned later back to you, then you don't have to fill out an yellow form again.

5. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    BUT....if you ship it through a dealer, he/she has to log it in, log it out, and transfer it to you when it goes back to them (which it has to). Bottom line is, send it from your home address to the gunsmith/manufacturer and they can send it back to your address and no transfer need take place.

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Easy, don't ship it through an FFL. I went through Fedex and the gunsmith shipped it back directly to my doorstep.

7. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Yes that is what i'm gonna do. Cost a little more but don't have to hassle with a third party. Well off to Lou at Business end customs. Guess I'll see it in a couple of months.

8. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I shipped a rifle back to savage threw a ffl and never had to a BC when I got it back.

9. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    I believe if you go to an FFL and he sends it out for a repair . He should be able to return the firearm to you without a 4473 by confirming your ID.

That would be like if someone dropped off a gun to me to work on and then I send it out for bluing and before I return it to the customer I have to do a 4473? No?

Definitely easier to ship it yourself but can be expensive via overnight plus insurance .Some FFL are willing to ship FFL-FFL via priority cheaper as a service for their customer.

10. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    moot point it was delivered to you this morning.

11. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    Yup but just speaking in general.

12. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My FFL told me if I have them ship a gun to Lou for example, when they get it back they have to run a background check still. I really think they can just give it back without it, but I am not a FFL and don't know the rules...

13. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    That's nuts. Sent several guns through Jet guns and they just hand it to me when I get it back. Well known there though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted