Back to Work! Please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RatBikeRod, Oct 14, 2018.

1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    So, I am well into my second month of not working and while the time at home has been nice I would really like to get back to work and start making a living again.

As we slip toward November I get concerned about the job market taking the holidays off and finding myself in January still looking.

Any prayers would be appreciated.

I have had time to reload which has been nice as I could never find time to do it before. So I am cranking out ammo now and not having to buy. A bit more time to read and relax which I have not done much of in 38 years of being in the workforce. I have never taken more than a week and a half off, so this is really odd for me.

I am down now to what I had hoped would be my base on guns, but as you guys have seen I put another of my 1911’s up for sale. I may do the same with one or two Sig’s. My safe is almos empty now. If the VBob sells I will be down to two 22’s and one 1911 in there.

Sorry, just been a difficult week with very little happening and too much time to think.

2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Sorry to hear this, I hope you find something real soon!

1L26 likes this.

3. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Please don’t get discouraged,things will work out for you .
    Stay active with your job search .
    Have you thought about useing a “head hunter “ ?

1L26 and FWoo45 like this.
  4. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Hang in there things are bound to take a turn for the better. I'm not sure what you do or where you are but I can tell you here in NE Ohio there's not a machine shop or manufacturing plant that wouldn't hire somebody on the spot who simply has the ability to show up every day on time.

5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Keep your head up. I know that it is damn hard to find any help let alone good people in this labor market. As Slapshot said, not sure where you are or what you do but here in komifornia, all anyone complains about is the trouble finding folks that will show up.

6. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Stay positive and keep active RatBike. Like others have said, things will turn for the better.

Hang in there and keep looking, best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Looking for a job is a full-time job, it concerns me you use the term "read and relax" to describe your day

boatdoc likes this.
  8. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Sorry to hear this my friend. It will get better but sometimes it seems to take a long time.
    Before I retired I worked for just about all the contractors up at Prudhoe Bay and Kuparuk. Sometimes I would get another job lined up back to back and sometimes it might be a couple of months before I was able to find work. Like you, I would reload a bunch of ammo and go shooting. I would also go camping/fishing/hunting during these "out of work" times. So I would say get out there and have some fun while you can. (my wife would be very jealous that she had to work while I was out playing!)

41 Charlie likes this.
  9. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Yea, Tac45, I am actually working with 4 recruiters and I have 4 other buddies working to help as well. I am submitting resume’s daily, but rarely get anything back.

I have a 38 year career in IT. The last 20+ have been in leadership, so all my technical skills are pretty much gone. However, all my soft skills (leadership, financial, project management, program management, business development) are all really strong. I have worked for some big names as well, so my resume is strong. The problem, it seems, is that I have been doing it for 38 years. I am, what most call, a young 56 (meaning I dont look or act my age - maybe 10 years younger). The other big negative is that I do not have a degree. That takes me out of the running a lot of the time too.

Now, I am being realistic about my salary and not trying to get into really big numbers and I am looking at other industries. Just late in the year for this with the holidays coming.

Again, the encouragement is much appreciated.

10. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    That describes my evenings. I spend all day “working” at finding a job. My typical day when I work is about 16 hours.

wcanterbury and ImperialBlade like this.
  11. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yep, I am looking at consulting work as well. One of my friends does “fractional” work, where he steps in to lead groups and help develop teams and find good leaders. I am talking to him about doing some of this work as well. If I could find enough consulting work to string together I might not go back to a real job. Just harder than I imagined breaking into it.

boatdoc, wcanterbury and john_anch_ak like this.
  12. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    For a small nominal fee, I’ll let you use my picture on your Res. :roflmaro:
    Send cash

FWoo45, Kip and Mike Meints like this.
  13. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Now there is the first good thing I have heard. Which milk carton do I go buy to find your photo?

14. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    This one

FC5EE3D8-1687-404A-931F-D8DAA463A735.jpeg

15. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
  16. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Good luck. When I retired from the sheriffs office it took some time to find something new. Kind of like fishing, you just need to present your bait to the right fish. I hope it happens soon for you

ImperialBlade likes this.
  17. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    @RatBikeRod check out Institute of Management Consultants (IMC) DFW Chapter:
    https://www.imcusa.org/general/custom.asp?page=IMCDFW

I’ve been a member of IMC in two cities. The DFW chapter is very active, has some great people, and does a lot of things to help people get started in a consulting career.

A few years ago I took a weekend “Consulting Quick Start” course they offered that was really good. There are people in the group who are active consultants (not the kind of consultant who is biding time until their next FT job comes along) but who teach others how they do things - like marketing plans, pricing work, doing contracts, networking via LinkedIn, etc. So the folks there really know their stuff.

PM me if you want more info. If consulting is a possible interest for you I highly recommend this group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BR549er and wcanterbury like this.
  18. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks Tango, I will look into this group today and PM you with any questions. Much appreciated.

19. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    sorry for your loss. although temporary..UPS,FEDEX,,,..all hire now. it is $$ in your pocket and may lead to a FT job.

otherwise persist and be flexible as you search for work
    good luck

ZArugby and 41 Charlie like this.
  20. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    @boatdoc makes a good point. I don't know how you are physically, but the delivery companies all start hiring part-time holiday help for the drivers about now. It doesn't pay what it used to, but it's pay for work that gets you out and moving.

ZArugby and wcanterbury like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted