1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to several local LGS, Pawn shop/LGS, and Hunting Supply stores around here and it appears that no one sells parts or tools without ordering them.

Ya know, if I wanted to wait for stuff, I would have ordered it online a a couple of days ago when I first thought of it instead of my waiting till I can get to your shop so that I can support local business and create/support loyalty

:rage::bang:

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Known Agitator
3,071 Posts
Can't say I blame them for most parts. They would have to have a TON of stuff on hand. Just think how many brands there are of 1911 small parts...

Does suck when you want/need a part and are willing to pay more to get it locally. Used to be a gunsmith down the road who had 1911 parts. He wanted $8 each for grip screws.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Supply & Demand plain and simple. LGS buys 1 or 2 and Brownells, Midway, etc... buy 50-100 for half of what your guy pays. I’m pretty lucky to have Top Gun Supply close by but their internet sales drive the inventory.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,452 Posts
Sorry 'bout that lad. Margins on tools and small parts don't really have much of a percentage. It is difficult to rationalize the overhead. Bills must be paid. Parts won't get it done.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,546 Posts
I can't fault a LGS for not having parts, it's an on-line thing

·
Premium Member
14,711 Posts
I wouldn't say bad. I'd say they carry what sells. I have some small parts left from 30 years ago, when I had a small shop. Usually ordered two when someone needed something. I tried, but you can't stock a little of everything. Still have packages of screws and even a blade sight for 1911 Colt. The part numbers have faded on some folders to the point that I don't know what they're for.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny part is, I just wanted some punches, a hammer and a block to detail strip and clean without having to chase stuff around the table.

Reactions: Series70

·
Deo Volente
7,454 Posts
My "local" shops for parts and tools are Brownells, EGW, Harrison Design, Wolff, Cylinder & Slide, etc. I gotta order stuff because I am in the middle of nowhere...
Amen brother! Out in the middle of nowhere makes you really appreciate the internet!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I really do not have much need for LGS anymore.
Their guns and ammo are over priced,
Accessories are limited and overpriced. I buy powder and primers to avoid the ORM tax and shipping.
Other than that, they may become a thing of the past, like video stores.
What can you get that makes it more worthwhile that on line ordering. Certainly no offense to any dealer on here, but just saying. This website has really spoiled me!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Most my LGS's suck for accessories and parts. When I lived in Baton Rouge, Jims Firearms was awesome. Best gun shop I have ever seen!

http://jimsfirearms.net/baton-rouge/

Now that I'm back in PA I have EGW local to me even though I normally just order online. I keep parts for every gun I own so it's very rare that I have a firearm that's down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts