1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MONCOM-HWTL (1).jpg

.38 super or 9mm? Trying to decide on what to buy. I have a lot of 9 ammo, an awful lot. I own a XDm 9 compact that I was planning to install a supressor on but never have. Not even applied for my class 3 yet. I keep forgetting. I'm moving away from polymer guns and I only have the XDm left. I have someone that wants to buy it but it is soo high capacity. 20 rounds.
I guess I shouldn't have any trouble selling all my 9 if it came to it. I know there are 38 super fans on here, one in paticular we all know of. Lol. So, is it difficult finding .38 super compared to 9? I know that 9 is the most popular round period. I also know that 38 super is a fav in competition. Not really planning on installing the supressor either. Rather spend the money on my Les Baer Boss or DW Kodiak. Or a Commanche. I havn't ever shot a .38 super. Those of you that have and like it why? Selling my 9 ammo and Xdm with all the mags I have for it will pay for most of this pistol. Help me decide. :bang:

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,287 Posts
You can't go wrong either way. Would it just be used for the range?

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would occasionally carry it in my truck. Mostly range though.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,070 Posts
I would occasionally carry it in my truck. Mostly range though.
Do you reload?

If so then order it in 38 Super and ask them to fit a 9mm
barrel for it and you win! Options are a good thing!

The Mono HWT is awesome in 38 Super!
11196C45-6B44-4193-A32A-57A6246F1030.jpeg

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I’d go with 9 personally then again I’m one of (the few?) on here who doesn’t see / understand the appeal of 38 super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
What @Dwe said - BOTH. I’m planning on fitting a .38 Super barrel to my 9mm Mono very soon. I have the barrel just need to muster up the motivation.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
For me it is about reliability as the Super has a OAL that fits the 1911 platform. I had a Springfield loaded 9 almost 20 years ago and it was an abysmal failure in the reliability department. After a trip back it still was a boat anchor. I do believe that all the bugs have been worked out since, and many manufacturers are producing reliable 9mm 1911’s but in the intervening years I have bought Supers from Colt, DW, and Nighthawk and all run great. They do everything a 9 can do, and more(defensive loads at 1380 FPS) I will get a nine someday, or 9 barrels fitted, but that is my reasoning. I reload but haven’t set up my Dillon for the Super yet as I have had no trouble buying bulk ammo on line from targetsportsusa or outdoor limited. I got Armscor a few months ago for $15.60 a box, delivered. Once I do start reloading my own I’ll cut that cost in half.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you reload?

If so then order it in 38 Super and ask them to fit a 9mm
barrel for it and you win! Options are a good thing!

The Mono HWT is awesome in 38 Super!
View attachment 453105
About like 40/357sig. conversion. Didn't actually even think about that. I've heard and read some about it a while back. Thanks Qwe for bringing this to my attention. I knew that joining this forum was going to be a good move, (except for the enabling part). No I don't reload atm but I know a few that do. I have one friend that loads for me at his cost. So I get the savings and he does the work! Lol. I've even told him to charge me but he's not so far.
I suppose going to 9 from a 38 super platform is the better method. Besides the barrel. Mag and bushing as well? Spring should be ok I suppose.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outdoor Limited, me too. I suppose you are a member as well. Can't beat that deal. I've been working not too far from their wearhouse. A guy at work heard me talking to another guy about guns. He then told me about them. Using them for now as I don't shoot near as much as I once did. Hopefully not to far out I'm going to be moving to where I can set up a home range. Then I will also get a multi stage Hornady or Dillon. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: Old Sea Dragon
1 - 10 of 10 Posts