close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baer Customizing Opinions

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Joemannnnn, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Joemannnnn

Joemannnnn Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Hey Guys, looking for some thoughts regarding my Les Baer. I purchased a used CC a few months ago, and I love it. However, as much as I love the look, she is wearing and when thinking about a refinish I wonder if there is anything else that should be done 1st. Some of the things I'd like to do are flush cut the barrel and crown it, as well as countersink the slide stop. I also have considered a new slide stop because I don't love how LB finished it. They removed a lot of material and it just looks funky. I'd also like to switch to a single sided safety. Should I stick with LB parts? Can I kiss any warranty good bye if I do switch to other parts? What else have people done to their Baers? I can't imagine much could be done for accuracy or reliability. I'm just looking to improve the finish and looks a little. I'm leaning towards Hard Hat treatment from Mr. Severns. I love the look of the pistol now, probably more than I will after a refinish, but the finish just isn't holding up, and I want to keep this in good shape. I know it may be a long wait list, more time to make up my mind I guess. Thoughts? What would you do to this finish?:

[​IMG]

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    customize it. I never look at warranties as a factor.

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I am pretty sure Baer will only warranty for the original buyer as well, so go to town!

4. Joemannnnn

Joemannnnn Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Yea, I knew with this being used any warranty work would be questionable. I think any warranty work with LB is hit or miss in general. I guess if you catch him on a good day you are golden. Bad day, well I think we have all heard stories. I guess I'm not too concerned about the warranty either. Still not sure if I want to keep the replacement parts LB or not.

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i dare you to call him and tell him that your Baer 1911 doesn't "sling shot" :animlol:

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    My theory is that if a pistol runs for 250-500 rounds, the a 99% chance it won't explode, slide crack, barrel bulge or anything major. I'm not going to be held hostage by a "possible" warranty. If a safety or ejector breaks, I'll have it fixed locally.

It's akin to keeping plastic seat or carpet covers on your vehicle to keep from "ruining" things.. JMO.. Ron

7. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I thought it was Power Stroke now?

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011

hahahahaha.. All those years and we didn't even know it was "slingshot-ting"; now it's "power stroking".. Cheers.. Ron

9. Joemannnnn

Joemannnnn Member

Aug 19, 2011
    What are the thoughts about some of the LB parts vs. other options out there. Any other slide stops I should consider? Single sided safeties? Anything else worth replacing while I'm at it?

10. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Baer uses no MIM but some stuff is Cast if you care. I like the 10-8 Slid Stops, and Ed Brown all the rest.

11. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    As far as Severns' "Hard Hat" treatment goes, it's the same as Melonite from what I understand. You can't go back from it. So make sure you're done messing with the gun if you get that treatment, because it'll be a real bear to change anything down the line.

The upside to paint finishes is that you can re-apply them or go with something else. Something to consider. :smilie:

Andy

12. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Lol. Sling shoting is for suckas.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted