Les Baer Baer Decisions

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ACPMAN, Dec 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ACPMAN

ACPMAN New Member

Dec 2, 2018
    First thread here, been lurking for a while...! New to the forum, but not new to guns. Have a bunch of 1911s, all but two of them are Colts. I’ve been inspired to step up my game and get a semi custom, and I’ve always liked the Baers. I considered getting the Colt Custom Shop ‘Custom Competition,’ looks like a real nice Colt, but for the same $2,000 +/- I figure I’ll check out a Baer.

Given the choice, what do you guys think about a Concept III (two tone gun), a blued Premier II with the 1.5 inch guarante, or a stainless Concept VI?

I like the look of the two tone, but like the idea of the 1.5 guarantee (not because I think I’ll realize the accuracy difference, but just because...). I also like a stainless pistol, but don’t really want fixed sights on this on. I know I can change them out pretty easy, but still...

Any difference between the Concept line and the Premiers? Will the two tone not be as “re-sellable” if it ever comes to that? I know Baers have a little bit of a bad rap with the their blue finish, fact, or fiction? I like a nice blues gun, and stainless, any advantage from a value standpoint with either when it comes to Baer?

I’m sure someone will say it’s just a matter of time before you get all three, and you’re probably right..., ;). Thanks for the input!!

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I vote premier 2 with 1.5” guarantee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACPMAN, boatdoc and gun_fan111 like this.

3. hpguru

hpguru Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Depends on who you ask, some of them will turn "Plum" personally i like it...

tac45 likes this.
  4. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    I have had, and still have some, Baers. On the finish the rep is pretty true. The blueing is thin and will "plum" on some guns. For me that's not a problem as I actually like for a gun to look like I have got my moneys worth from it. Stick with a 5" gun and you should be fine. I just picked up my third Stinger and of course it runs like crap right now, but I knew it would for about a thousand rounds

ACPMAN, IANative and PewPewPtwang like this.
  5. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I love Bears , I don’t know what it is but each has their own personality, take a look at a Monolith heavy weight .
    Welcome from the coast of South Carolina

CBF5D7AE-4DF4-4AB5-B84B-3DC1B6E7CD16.gif

ACPMAN and boatdoc like this.
  6. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    IMO, it depends on what you're going to do with it. Unless you're planning on doing high level Service Pistol or Action-type shooting I don't think you'll get the value out of the 1.5" guarantee. In terms of looks, that's 100% up to you. If I only owned one, it would be blued. But what's the fun in owning just one 1911?. :) How about a PII without the accuracy guarantee?

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  7. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Depending on the sights you want, changing from fixed to adjustable sights may require milling of your slide.

A standard Les Baer comes with a 3" guarentee at 50 yards. That's still pretty good. But, if you're doing bullseye shooting, the cost of the 1.5" guarentee might be justified. Of course, none of these accuracy guarantees will mean much if you use cheap ammo.

8. bgw45

bgw45 Member

May 31, 2013
    I'm totally satisfied with my blued PII, so much so that I bought a Hemi.

WC145, ACPMAN, IANative and 2 others like this.
  9. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Blued because reasons.....
    D8BC2BFF-D2DD-4B9D-A977-ABDE0C4DB270.jpeg

WC145, ACPMAN, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  10. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Welcome from Spring Hill, TN!
    As far as which one to choose. It's a toss up! Pick whichever you like the looks of best.

Raven312, ACPMAN and boatdoc like this.
  11. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    My first one was a P2 with 1.5” guarantee, but Hemi would be a great choice for a two tone variant of that. Like bgw45 above, I own both now

boatdoc likes this.
  12. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    A few months ago I picked up my first Baer a blued TR 1.5 for $2150 on GB. Do a search there still might be some out there. And I luv the gun BTW.

13. IANative

IANative Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    This is not meant to be critical, but I think you have to decide what it is you're really after. Reading thru your post, I see the following "likes:"

I like the look of the two tone
    but like the idea of the 1.5 guarantee
    I also like a stainless pistol
    I like a nice blues gun (I assume you meant "blued")
    don’t really want fixed sights on this

Using my vast intellect, I deduce that you want a two-tone, stainless or blued gun with target sights. (See how smart I am? LOL)

Anyway, your comment about not wanting fixed sights rules out the Concept IV, so now your choice is down to two, and those two guns are essentially the same. So, what's more important to you- the 2-tone finish or the 1.5 guarantee?

Here's my 2¢... I always tell a prospective 1st time Baer owner who doesn't really know what he/she wants to get the basic Premier II (after all, that's what every 5" Les Baer pistol is, at heart). That puts the most economical Baer in your hands to begin your journey. Shoot it, carry it, shoot it some more, change the grips if you want, shoot it, learn how to strip and clean it, shoot it some more, shoot it again.

After a thousand rounds (or more), you'll have an idea of how you want your next Premier II configured. Do you want your P II with combat sights instead? Get a Custom Carry. Do you want your P II with thin grips, combat sights and a single-side safety? Get a UTC. Do you want your P II hard-chromed with black accents and a fiber optic front sight? Get a Hemi. Do you want a CCO-sized P II? Get a Stinger. See where I'm going here?

Regardless of which you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I've owned over a dozen, and enjoyed all of them. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

14. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Most of the Baers that I have had ran great from the start. Never owned any shorter than 5” though. I am a fanatic about my guns shooting where they look, and current adjustable sights are pretty tough these days, so it would be adjustable sights for me. I hate changing out front sights. Especially on a Baer. I like the looks of some edge blue wear, and it will not take many holster draws to get that on a Baer. I vote PII with the 1.5.

ACPMAN likes this.
  15. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    welcome.

maybe try a hard chromed premier withthe 1.5" guarantee or a 2 tone model if you prefer.

the changes in each model are usually sights and or cocking serrations except for my fav--the monolith-- a full dustcover

ACPMAN likes this.
  16. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    ^^ smart guy.. great post..sound advice

ACPMAN likes this.
  17. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    1L26, gps man, WC145 and 3 others like this.
  18. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Blued for a working , carry gun

thumbnail[1] (19).jpg

1L26, gps man, Old Sea Dragon and 5 others like this.
  19. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I have to agree with that. Two tones are pretty

[​IMG]

But blued guns get used more

[​IMG]

You can always buy a blued P2 and send it back for hard chrome later on if the finish wears and you want to change things up. Baer will do slide, frame, or both...

1L26, gps man, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  20. seanarms

seanarms Member

May 24, 2018
    Custom Carry, blue, NFCS, single sided safety and shoot it like you stole it!

Tough to predict future value, since it is really dependent on what a buyer is willing to spend. That said, there are many Baer fans.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted