Baer work

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by MDP, Nov 20, 2018.

1. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    View attachment 179679 A lot of Baers thru the shop lately. This one was in for a front sight replacement and trigger job. Gotta love the blind front sight hole. Take a look at this disconnector work......but hey at least it won't drag on the mag....Lol. Surprisingly the trigger pull on this one was better than most Baers I see. Baer fs.jpeg Baer Dis.jpeg

azpoolguy and 45ACP_ray like this.
  2. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
    I guess they’re not finely put together as they say.

3. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    The blind pin drives me nuts. Especially since it’s a hardened pin that might just be harder than most drills :)

william adams likes this.
  4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    azpoolguy likes this.
  5. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    More hand work doesn’t always translate into better quality. It depends on who owns the hands and who taught them how to use them.

I read the linked post a little more. It seems the Les Baer barrel fit everyone is so pumped about was probably the cause of the malfunction in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  6. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    I’m curious as to why the barrel broke. I wonder if it broke from lower lug contact with the VIS, the barrel feet being too thin or maybe a combo of both.

7. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    My understanding is that their method, which appears to involve a neanderthal with a flat file, creates a stress riser in the barrel foot because the file tends to create a square profile instead of a rounded one. This stress riser can generally be avoided by using the proper tools and practices.

Mike Meints likes this.
  8. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Right, like using a round file to file a radius. :)

There’s so many things about their build philosophy that makes me scratch my head. I just don’t get the Baer mojo I guess.

I wish him all the success in the world and it looks like he found it but I just don’t get it and that’s fine too.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yeah, that would help.

10. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    MDP, did you fit a new trigger to the gun with your trigger work? If you did, how much did you have to take off to even get the trigger started? Was it below .030 or more than that?

11. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    My two Baers don't exhibit what is in the linked thread.

They do have the blind pin however.

12. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Baer quality seems to keep going down. The front sight fit was terrible on this gun as well the bottom of the sight was about .005 from contacting the slide and was drove in pinching the blade bottom to the top surface of the slide. The slide will require some machining to properly fit a new sight. That being said, I used to have access to about all the custom builders guns from back in the day when Colt and Springfields were actually built by the men themselves....Les, Bill Willson, Brown, Nowlin and such and I will say Les work impressed me the most.

MP

13. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    No, I did not fit a new trigger in this gun.

14. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Was that a gun Les built himself or a Les Baer pistol built by his crew?

Just curious.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  15. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Was that a gun Les built himself or a Les Baer pistol built by his crew?

Les himself.

EvolutionArmory likes this.
  16. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I beg to differ on Baer quality. Very happy with my TR 1.5 accuracy and trigger. Was banging steel at 45yds the other day effortlessly.

Hairtrigger and CT72 like this.
  17. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I think maybe they have someone new in the shop that isn't building them that tight like they use to but JUST right. Kinda like Brown is doing now with the cosmetics with there new builds. I believe the gentlemen that came over was from Wilson. Anyway I'm enjoying the crap out of all of them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    simonp likes this.
  18. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Have 3 in the family over the last 10 years including a recent example. All 3 are well finished with exceptional accuracy. Very happy with them! Not seeing lesser quality on any level.

Hairtrigger and simonp like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted