Baited Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Capthobo, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I came upon this question on an application recently.
    Does anyone else see this as a baited question with no proper way to answer without telling a lie if you just posess a firearm.
    Do you possess or transport a firearm while engaged in For-Hire Transportation?
    [ ] Yes I do** [ ] No I do not

2. Frgood

Frgood New Member

May 30, 2016
    Was this a generic job application form? Or was this specific, or custom, for a particular employer or job?

WHEELS likes this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    That's what they want to know. I guess the correct answer would be yes, unless prohibited. Or worry about your job status after you save your life.

Babboonbobo and Capthobo like this.
  4. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    This is a specific question for a specified permit that is required to operate within a district.

5. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Just lie. In possession is too easy to interpret in many ways. Good luck with the new job!

6. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    It also depends on where you are hauling too. Some areas will prohibit the possession of firearms on private property. This comes into play for example on our ranch where we have a lot of oil field traffic from production and drilling operations. The contract we have with all of our producers states that under the trespass statute and lists it in the State of NM it is expressly verboten. Of course the language is written to include all of their subcontractors.

Capthobo likes this.
  7. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    I’m kinda with Old Sea Dragon on this one. I consider myself a pretty ethical guy, but politically driven agenda questions are nobody’s business but my own personal point of view. I’ll give due acknowledgment, the employer may be trying to cover concerns about future potential company “liability issues” - but those don’t trump MY own personal safety and security. (The old adage of, “better to be judged by twelve than carried by six” comes to mind).

Personally I would answer “no” and later, had a ‘change of mind’ should the question ever arise (assuming all other aspects of the situation have followed appropriate legal considerations). Employment can be replaced; your life, not so much.

8. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Do you possess guns? Then you are in possession of them. It's a trick question.

Capthobo likes this.
  9. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    What’s the significance of the two asterisks following the “Yes I do” answer?

Babboonbobo and Capthobo like this.
  10. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Interesting.. Even on private property that is marked as such you would disregard the rights of the property owner?

11. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    Well, I'm not a trucker but I married into a family with many over the road drivers. They have all had several encounters where a firearm would have been comforting. If I knew in advance that I would be working in moderate to high risk areas I would be very tempted.i have carried in places where it was not legal. I did so after considering the risk, versus the need. I am neither a vigilante or a victim and intend to remain neither.

12. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    My response was to the OP’s question as to how I would answer a question on an employment application.

Capthobo and Busa Dave like this.
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Well....
    It is a right
    Kinda like "Do you sing to the radio on key?"
    "Do you make up your own lyrics and not really give a sh*t how it sounds?"

1911 dawg and Capthobo like this.
  14. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    I’m not sure as to the reasoning of the double asterisk. Searched the form but found no notation of explanation.

Here is the full content.
    PART 3- FIREARM DISCLOSURE
    Do you possess or transport a firearm while engaged in For-Hire Transportation? [ ] Yes I do** [ ] No I do not
    By signing this application, you hereby agree not to possess and/or transport a firearm while engaged in For-Hire Transportation, unless you are authorized to do so by State Law. Any required State License must be current and valid and must be kept on file at all times with the Department of Transportation and Public Works (DTPW), For-Hire Transportation Unit. The filing of this disclosure must be performed with every renewal application.

My belief is that if you possess a valid state concealed carry you could answer yes. But I think it would raise a big flag on the application.
    This application is in Miami Dade county for an individual taxi limousine (Hack License).
    Must have to drive for hire within the boundaries of Miami Dade. Interesting because this is for licensed and permitted vehicle operators and Uber and Lyft are exempt from this requirement.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  15. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    If I was a cabbie I would want to carry. If the permit process does not prohibit licensed carry I would answer truthfully and let the chips fall where they may.

16. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    Please. I am not a cabby.
    I drive limousine and very high selective clientel that pay very dearly for a certain caliber of service.
    “Pun Intended”. There is absolutely no question as to what they as “Clients” expect.
    I see this application form as nothing more than an obvious way to find a way to register firearms by the Libs.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  17. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    I suspect your belief is spot on the money.

Capthobo likes this.
  18. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    After seeing the whole statement , I would guess their insurance company required it .

19. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    That was my thought - it’s CYA language where you agree not to do something you’re not legally allowed to do. This protects them from lawsuits in case you go postal.

So the easiest answer is “No”. If subsequently you choose to (legally I’m assuming) possess a firearm while working, then at the next review period you’d answer “yes”. Unless of course prior to that you change your mind again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas Knight likes this.
  20. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Not to make light of a serious issue, but to paraphrase Kevin Costner in “The Bodyguard”, the limo driver is the first to get shot. Protect yourself - from your clients, and from those who would do harm to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWoo45 and Capthobo like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted