@Dwe has done several.

Reactions: Snakebill

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,278 Posts

·
5,278 Posts
I might try it on a gun I don't care if I mess up. With the right countersink/counter bore. But with my luck I'd get some chatter and that would be it.
Chatter happens but it can be cleaned up with lapping compound!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've used Brownell's cutters, too, and they work just fine with plenty of cutting fluid and a slow turn. As @Dwe says, there may be chatter, but it can be cleaned up easily if it's not allowed to progress too far.

Reactions: kev1mil

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
527 Posts
I've done a few of these and gotten a very good result. Pacific Tool and Gauge (PT&G) sells the cutters and pilots, they are excellent folks to work with if you have an issue.

ETA, that GI bushing is awesome, need to go get one of those to play with.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Done a few, back a few years ago.
Gonna get the cutters out and play this weekend on a couple of new projects.
Thanks for reminding me about this nice tweak to any 1911!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
What’s chatter?
When the bit grabs and bounces and you don't get a clean mirror cut finish. It creates machine / cut lines parallel to the cutting edges of the bit.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Not trying to derail, but I really like the way this cut and reverse crowning makes a gun look. Kinda new to this but is this typically done just for appearance or does it improve accuracy, or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,278 Posts
Not trying to derail, but I really like the way this cut and reverse crowning makes a gun look. Kinda new to this but is this typically done just for appearance or does it improve accuracy, or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mostly aesthetic, however it can keep the muzzle from becoming damaged, and therefore preserving accuracy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts