Barrel Fit Quest

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Autonomous, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Joe Chambers' excellent Barrel Fit Challenge thread got me to looking at my TRP's fit.

1) All sharpie tests were done with the pistol assembled.
    2) The barrel foot/slide stop pin sharpie test shows ~25% contact on the port side barrel foot and ~5% on starboard. Sorry, no pics.
    3) The stock MIM slide stop pin measures .197" at the base and .1995" at the tip. The ID of the barrel link allows a 13/64 drill bit (.203") to pass through.
    4) Upper barrel lug sharpie test revealed no contact on the outer surface of the lugs, there is a fairly even line going from 9 o'clock to 2 o'clock in the recess between the barrel hood and rear lug and on the corresponding rear slide lug. It's possible the slide is being nudged to the right.
    5) Barrel hood extension sharpie test reveals no contact on the left side but is showing contact on the right side of the hood. It starts at the end of the hood after the taper and goes almost half way back.

Should the side of the hood be in contact with the slide? Could a slide stop with a consistent .200" pin help assuming the barrel hood fit is corrected?
    Thanks.

2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    How does the gun shoot?

Sneaky One and wrmiller like this.

3. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    It shoots better than I currently do and that's the thing, I know this quest may be academic but I really enjoy improving the gun.

4. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Dont mess with it. IMO There is really no reason to. If you want to improve accuracy the barrel bushing would be the place to start.

Badabing11, FWoo45, gaijin and 3 others like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    If it already shoots better than you do how are you gonna tell if you've improved on it? The bottom contact is not the only aspect of an accurate or properly fit barrel.

Badabing11 likes this.
  6. Damingus

Damingus Active Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Could you please elaborate on the other important aspects of a properly fitted barrel?

Thanks!

7. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Let's look at it this way.
    If I was fitting a new barrel and it had hood extension/slide contact on one side would the job be done?

ZoidMeister and Damingus like this.
  8. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    I trimmed the side of the barrel hood extension and the SS pin/barrel foot contact pattern is better now.

9. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    1. Thank you for reading the thread and checking your own gun. Education is the name of the game when building or working on these guns and the more the have the better you will become.
    2. How do you know it shoots better than you do if it has never been corrected?
    3. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else, you do you, but at least do it based upon the actual experience and knowledge of those who have been doing what you want to do correctly for a long time.

10. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thanks, Joe.
    I'm getting cataract surgery next month which will correct some of my bad astigmatism and really bad nearsightedness too.
    I hope to shoot to the gun's potential when I can see the target and sights, LOL.

Joe C likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted