1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
105 Posts
V blocks can work very well in a mill or by hand. Lots of self made jigs out there that copy the original weigand barrel jig. Simple and affective..the everglades jig works fine too, but only allows you to cut the hood.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
I'll be honest, I can't afford all these jigs that a lot of Gunsmiths sale on the market.
Most to me are more expensive than what they are worth.
As was said nothing wrong with a good vise and a v block.
The thing is you have to have you're mill trammed correctly and indicate the barrel before cutting.
Most times, it's not the jig but the nut behind the handle!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have a mill, making a simple jig to hold the barrel to allow cutting the lower lugs and hood is a easy task..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a mill, making a simple jig to hold the barrel to allow cutting the lower lugs and hood is a easy task..
I had considered doing just that, but and not certain of the right dimensions and design.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are two allen set screws that sit under the lugs which allow you to level out the lugs.. mine can be adjusted without removing the fixture or barrel..
Mine seems to work as well as the weigand for the hood and lower lugs.. the weigand does allow you to cut the lugs at a 1-2 degree angle.... i hand fit my lugs so i only use it to straighten up the lugs after hand cutting them.. go look at any 1911 barrel block like the 10-8 and see how they hold the barrel..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts