Barrel Link to Slide Stop Pin

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by azpoolguy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Im continuing to research 1911 barrel fit and see a few different ideas on how much play the barrel link should have on the slide stop pin.

Assuming a .200 EGW slide stop. Do you settle on.203, .204 or .205 depending on manufacture link or ream to another dimension?

ZoidMeister and Jollyroger1 like this.
  2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Another dimension...

FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.

3. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    So you are saying I’m on the right track? :o.o:

4. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    No.

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

You have just entered . . . . .

91Ql8+oO67L._RI_.jpg

Awesome.gif

6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    You may need to enroll in Joe’s 1911 build class for that info I’m afraid to say!
    Go ahead. You need a WMG

cgff, ZoidMeister and dstallguy like this.
  7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    In for the chance that I might learn something.

8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    The barrel link doesn't support the barrel when in battery, i.e., the barrel should be wedged between the inside of the slide and the SS pin and the link should be loose (no tension).

Also, when the barrel is lowered and sitting against the frame, the link should be loose on the SS pin (no tension).

You can't elongate the SS hole in the link too much, or the barrel will not rotate out of battery before it hits the VIS. You also can't have the link too short as this can cause the barrel to unlock too quickly and possibly damage the upper lugs.

I've always have to hold my mouth just right when fitting links, but then I'm just a hack. ;)

FWoo45, HOGRIDER, KS95B40 and 5 others like this.
  9. Eastwood1

Eastwood1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Curious what was the outcome of this “other dimension”

10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    You may have to ask Joe about that, as it was his comment.

11. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yea was curious as to what azpoolguy with link play. Or is that unkown until class is or has been taken. Wish I had some time an money would take joe class

12. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    ZoidMeister and wrmiller like this.
  13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I will elongate the SS pin hole slightly when I'm tweaking the timing of the barrel coming out of battery. And I will elongate slightly the other way to keep tension off the link pin when the barrel/slide/frame are in battery.

So yea, it's more of a slot than a round hole. :)

It's easier for me to show this to someone rather than try to describe it to someone in words.

14. Eastwood1

Nov 19, 2017
    Yea just saw the article. Is great

15. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I never called you a hack? And I've seen your work Sir, and would easily put you at least several steps above that. ;) :D

FWoo45 and TheCollector like this.
  16. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    You called yourself a hack ^^^^^^^ and I was inferring that I'm not even up to that level. :eek:

FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.
  17. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Oh yea... I did.

But I’m an above average hack. Mostly. :oops: :D

FWoo45, ZoidMeister and HOGRIDER like this.
  18. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    I have decided on a plan. It may be wrong but I’ve been reviewing prints and have had some good talks with a few respected smiths @wrmiller being one of them about barrel fit.

I’m going to go with a .208 hole in the link and see how it works out. The original spec is a .206 hole with a .198 slide stop so I’m using an EGW .200 slide stop so I figure .208 will get me the needed clearance around the slide stop pin.

Links are cheap so I’m going down this path and will adjust as needed once the link is fit and I check timing.

I have not had much time to work on my project as I have just finished getting my shop space set up at my new house after moving last winter, the return of my wife’s cancer and some issues with one employee quitting and one going to rehab for the last 90 days.

Slapshot, wrmiller and ChuckC like this.
  19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Once you understand the fundamentals, the best thing to do IMO is to go at it and try different things, observing what works and what doesn't. As you said, links are pretty cheap and the experience gained will be well worth the cost.

But first take care of your wife. The pistol can wait. :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted