Barrels? Brand Specific?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by 2sharp2, Feb 6, 2019.

1. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Do Colt barrels, Kimber barrels, Wilson barrels only fit/function in that brand?

I have a full size Kimber pistol in 9mm, the Kimber website shows I can buy a full size match barrel that's already threaded for suppresser, using all other correct parts needed will that threaded barrel be a drop in fit?

If it needs special fitting, I know a guy!

Thanks

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    If you are asking can you just swap barrels between brands, no... But, you most generally cannot swap barrels by brand either. More than likely that Kimber barrel will be close if not a drop in fit, and you will more than likely pay for it in the accuracy department. To do it right it should be a gunsmith fit barrel and fit by a professional. There are certain what are supposed to be constants as far as tolerances and fit etc.. True to all brands but in the last 10-15 years especially, many have taken off to do their own thing making more parts proprietary to particular guns etc.. And specific generalized and correct prints even hard to come by. But here is the deal you could possibly get an ED Brown Prefit barrel that may also drop in your kimber. The thing is there are one some manufacturers that make good drop in barrels or decent should I say.. Most generally a drop in barrel will be made to the upper end of the tolerances so that minor fitting is required and the do come with instructions on fitting.

wrmiller likes this.
  4. 2sharp2

Apr 17, 2016
    Steve thank you for the on point answer. Exactly what I was wanting to know. Your answer was what I thought before I asked. Just wanted to make sure.
    I have seen the Ed Brown barrels and liked it because it is commander/pro size which is what I would rather have anyway. I will talk to my gunsmith about it.
    Thanks AZguy.

Steve Owens likes this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    No worries sir glad I could somewhat answer your question..

6. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've actually never installed a brand specific or 'drop in' barrel come to think of it. :oops:

I just figured that they wouldn't make for a very accurate pistol I guess.

7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Ed Browns barrels are very close on specs, actually fit up very nicely with the right touches, it can really add to an okay gun.

wrmiller likes this.
  8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Cool. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Over the years (40+?) I have always bought gunsmith fit barrels. Bar-sto, Clark, Briley, Schuemann, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.. The last one I bought was a KKM bull barrel that currently resides in my carry 2011 in my avatar, and am pleased with it. Bought it as a 40 S&W and bored it to 10mm. :)

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. 2sharp2

Apr 17, 2016
    I have just started the "Stamp Waiting Stage" for suppression. I have a .45 pistol that is suppressor ready but not a 9mm. So far I haven't found a model that's exactly what I have in mind so I thought I may want to build/make one suppressor ready out of what I have or buy a suitable model and have my smith' install a threaded barrel.

10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I just installed an Ed Brown suppressor ready drop in barrel from Brownells in a milspec and it fit up quite nicely, however I don't believe that they make a supported or ramped 9mm suppressor ready barrel.

2sharp2 likes this.
  11. 2sharp2

Apr 17, 2016
    Thanks for the input Steve. I'm just starting the research of this project.

Steve Owens likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted