Basic armorers tools.. Help please

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Brianfede, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I am looking to buy some basic armorer tools for my 1911's and other firearms. I already have a nice screwdriver set and a 1/8 inch punch. I probably need a few more punches, what sizes are most common? I have CZ's, STI's, Sigs and 1911's. I was thinking about a nice hammer nylon/brass, is there a go to brand for these? Lastly, armorers block? Are they worth considering? If so, what do you recommend. Open for any and all suggestions. If you have anything used that anyone is interested in selling, let me know. TY

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. team101

team101 Active Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Things I use frequently that you might want to consider investing in:
    Pin and roll pin punch sets
    A Fat Wrench
    Hammers in various sizes
    A set of gunsmithing screwdrivers
    Small levels for scope mounting
    AR specific tools
    Torque wrench
    Breaker bar
    Strap wrench
    Socket and hex key sets
    Files/stones/sandpaper/steel wool
    Dremel
    A vise
    Cleaners, lubricants, Loctite
    Eye/ear/respiratory pro
    Basic hand tools
    I use hockey pucks (modified with holes, grooves, and slots) as cheap bench blocks

IMO Buy once, cry once, and don't skimp on quality.

FWoo45 likes this.

3. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I got this hammer and punch set from Brownells:
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...punches/deluxe-hammer-punch-set-prod7996.aspx

And the 10-8 Performance armorers block. I also have a round block I got from Brownells, but like the 10-8 block better. It has proven useful for me.

** Random Aside posted just because someone might find it useful **

I also find the extractor removal tool from Brownells to be useful. And the plastic bushing wrench from one of our fellow Addicts (search for the "bushing wrench fix" thread.)

One other thing I bought that I found surprisingly useful is the Sight Light S-100 laser bore sighter. It has some limitations (mostly that it won't fit anything less than a 4.25" barrel) and its kinda pricey.

I was pretty skeptical but someone I trust was using one and said it got them really close, so I got to looking at their software. It looked promising so I bought one.

I spent a little time fiddling with it, entering the ballistic info for my ammo, setting up a little jig in my shop where I could get everything level and at the proper distance. And I rigged a little "windage verification" device using a standard, cheap carpenter's laser level.

Lo and behold, I sighted in two pistols, went to the range and was so close to 0 at 25 yds there was no point in trying to get the sights any closer.

My short barrel carry guns still have to be done by hand, but on my commander and full-size 1911s and G17 it reliably eliminates the trial and error.

YMMV.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  4. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    God ,please help me control myself , and bless all the little armorers out there. Amen

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    IMHO the only way to learn the basic's is to try to figure things out yourself. In the past few weeks, I have had to replace a barrel link in my Baer, and remove and clean my CZ extractor. I am sure that sounds easy for most of the people on the forum but its' a new endeavor for me. Realized I didn't have the proper tools for the job, hence looking for feedback on what to buy.

Chris O likes this.
  6. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Tac's just trying to refrain from selling more of those farrier tools he repurposes for his firearms work. He's very fond of the 2lb sledge for extractor tensioning. But he only takes cash.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    Buy some Glardon-Vallorbe files, some premium hollow ground screwdrivers, a hammer with nylon/brass replaceable head inserts, and a high quality punch set (Starret).

8. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    First start with a big tool box. Because it will soon be to small as you spend more on tools then guns and guns parts.

UBOATDOC, FWoo45 and wrmiller like this.
  9. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    The best "tools" are both from 10-8.

Bench block and armorer's tool. Plus I use a dart to line up the internals before replacing pins.

azpoolguy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted