Remington Battle of the cheapo 1911s - Remington R1 or RIA GI?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Greg45acp, Jan 5, 2019.

Your choice for a beater, goof-off project?

1. Remington R1 base model

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. RIA M1911-A1 base model

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. Guns are scary!

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    I'm not really in the market for one of these, but I saw Grabagun has the Remington R1 on sale for $469.

At that price it's almost tempting as a truck gun/beater. I know the frame is cast but so are Caspians and Rugers and cast frames don't seem to spook people like they used to.

Assuming you are familiar with the 1911, and have some mechanical aptitude, would you favor the Remington over a RIA purely as a goofing around pistol? Price difference is about 30 dollars.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  2. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    I've never had a RIA but have ready great things. I did have a R1 in 45 and I have to say I was pretty impressed for the money. I never had a single issue shooting it, and it was pretty accurate :cheers:

UBOATDOC likes this.

3. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I had the R1 Carry Commander, and now wish I hadn’t let a friend talk me out of it.
    The R1 carry version is well worth the money and the only R1 I would buy again. I am tempted by that Grabagun deal.
    It is a Series 80 though.

Capthobo and william adams like this.
  4. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I had a RIA compact briefly, it had several anomalies in frame specs that made it more difficult to even do a trigger swap. Also had a R1, and thought it was a lot of pistol for the money. At this price, for me, its a no briner. R1 all day and, yep, series80, no biggie to me

Capthobo likes this.
  5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I had an RIA GI for a brief while. Go with the R1.

Capthobo likes this.
  6. toms84ss

toms84ss New Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I had a RIA Compact model. Bought it new for under $400.00. Didn't keep it long. Go with the Remington.

7. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    My brief exposure to an R1 was a friend of mine who owns one. The frame/slide fit is tighter than the two SR1911 Rugers I have. No discernible slop side to side, but has some in the vertical.
    He was having some issues with it. I adjusted the extractor tension. My hunch was that he ran the gun much to dry, telling him to run it with more lube. Maybe try some different mags. The series 80 safety was a big turn off to me, being my first exposure to one.

8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Could you expound on that Zoid? I've handled (not shot) a couple of RIs, but not a Rem. Thanks.

9. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The more recent RIA tactical models are very impressive. I just stopped by my LGS this morning. Handled a 10mm double stack and a commander. Their slide to frame fit us spectacular and as smooth as a DW or EB. NiN as good as a Wlison.

They seem to have stepped up the quality of their finish as well. Cerakoate quality or better. Almost as good as melonite.

What impressed me was how smoothly they cycled. A lot of gun for the buck

I also looked at their mil-spec guns. Pass on those.

wrmiller likes this.
  10. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
  11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The RIA mil-spec guns I have shot and handled make an old Colt seem tight. Feed and ejection issues. You could work on them to clean them up a bit, but you would still have a rattle trap.

12. Greg45acp

Oct 31, 2016
    Capthobo and LPRoad like this.
  13. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I want that R1 Commander! I got to check one out at my LGS and compared to the RIA, it'd be a no brainer for me also.:D

14. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    After 53 Milwaukee's you would need a toilet gun. Coz that stuff give ya bad case of beer chits

Greg45acp likes this.
  15. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I had an STI re-branded RIA that was good, and two of the guys at my last Wild Bunch match were shooting Remmys and they ran flawlessly.

16. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Given those two choices I would go with the Remington.

17. Greg45acp

Oct 31, 2016
    Remington R1 is winning in the comments section but the voting is close..... :o.o:

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I have owned a RIA and a Remington 1911 (R1 I think, both were full size 45's). I sold them both, but if I had to keep one of them, it would have been the RIA. Not a very pretty gun, but it was a shooter. The Remington, well, it looked nice.

I do have to admit, I am a bit biased against Big Green. The R1 and a 870 shotgun I bought brand new had issues from the factory. I do love my old pawn shop 870 Wingmaster, I would only by a used Remington product. Just my experience, not hating too much on Remington.

TexasPatriot59 likes this.
  19. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    Keep this going. I got some trades for my Glock 17 for either a RIA or a Remmy.

20. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Yes

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted