close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BBQ grips (Sarge's Red Bubinga Bling) on my Nighthawk Heinie Tactical Carry

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awpk03s, Aug 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have had these grips for a long time, but never mounted them after I got the pistol blacked out in Ionbond. For grins I put them on tonight... and man do they look nice. I love the color and grain on these grips. Sadly they do not feel as good to me in this defensive pistol as my black Alumagrips, so they are relegated to 'BBQ' status... haha.

But, I know some of you will enjoy the pics, so here you go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Without flash)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I love Red Bubinga. Almost had him make me a set for my KC. Ryan does such nice work. :thumb:

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Those look pretty nice to me. Almost like a good starburst on a guitar. How's that texture feel? It looks rather pebbly (if that's a word).

Andy

4. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Ryan is a master with wood grips. I really wish he offered full checkered grips though. I went back and forth between Red Bubinga and Bloodwood for these, and ended up choosing the Bubinga at Ryan's advice. I really have to give him credit on these, I called him up and asked if he ever made grips cut for a Heinie magwell... to which he said no, but if I sent him my base Alumagrips as a guide he'd do it for me. They turned out great.

5. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    The stippling on the bottom half adds some texture, but in comparison to all my other grips, they are pretty slick in feel. I think if I had them done in a satin finish, that would help as opposed to the gloss. Cosmetically - they are the best grips I've (personally) ever seen. But for function, in a carry pistol that doubles as my main go-to pistol for SHTF - in all honesty I can't do better than Alumagrips.

But I still love the hell out of these Red Bubinga 'Bling' grips.

6. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    He is a true artisan, IMHO the TOP CHOICE for wood grips.....and a great guy to talk guns with. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a set of satin finish Red Bubinga, but like you said, this is my EDC and SHTF gun all in one, so I ultimately went with Alumagrips.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Esmeralda has several enamoring qualities.. To be sure.. Out of all the wood I've bought, she kicks butt.. Several people are good, but Esmeralda kicks butt.. JMO.. Ron

8. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    awpk03's, beautiful wood! +1 on Ryans grips. He's made a few for me now, and to include the amboyna burls he made last for my Dominator. I'm really liking the new finish on your Heinie btw. The grips really set it off better than I think the hard chrome would have...good choice! How's the finish holding up btw?

9. Bender

Bender Meh...... Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Congrats on the grips,....they do look nice!

10. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I am a fan of Sarge's grips, as well. I have three sets in the works right now......:thumb:

11. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
    very nice love the grips and the NH

12. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks!

13. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Those are nice! Ryan does great work!