Be there any cheeepskates here? How do you finance your guns?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by gofish, Jul 21, 2018.

1. gofish

gofish Active Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The title's pretty self-explanatory. I'll start off:

Guys at the range think I'm rollin' in money because I've got a couple of high-line firearms. I haven't bought a new T-shirt in 40 years. Come to think of it, coats and pants when I can find'em, too, are from Salvation Army or Goodwill. I think we've only bought two brand new vehicles in 45 years. One we had to, because Hurricane Katrina's flooding caused everything before 2005 to be of suspect pedigree with the exception of brand new 2006s; the other, in 1975, we were green peas and didn't know any better. I got a bag of "clean" once-used paper towels that I've dried my hands with, in the garage for wiping the floor, checking motor oils, etc. I run my cleaning fluids through an automotive paint strainer and use the the filtered solution as the "first wipe-down" before actually cleaning a firearm, or the engine oil off the drip pan. "Ed's Red" fan here (if you dunno what that is, Google it). I'll fill up the gas tank whenever I see a "bargain" if I'm at half a tank; cheap is cheap... I'm the plumber, electrician, painter, Jiffy Lube guy- if I can do it safely, I won't pay to have someone else do it.

I'm sure there's other embarrassing "skims" I've pulled that my wife could name, but to me they're too second-nature to recall... LOL How 'bout ya'll?

2. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Same here, maybe worse. Er, better.

Mike Meints likes this.

3. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    You're so damn cheap you won't even post a pic of these "high line firearms".

4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Oh how I do tire of the sentiment that I must be loaded. Irks me to no end.

5. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I’m the opposite. I love spending money. Sometimes even when I don’t have any!

DukeSoprano, AJP, samuse and 21 others like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Numbers don't add up. I graduated high school in 1976 and just turned 60 this year, yet you bought your first new car in 1975?

According to your profile, you would have had to have been 11 years old?

Screenshot_20180721-072351.png

Maybe that should have been 64? That would put you at 21 in 1975 . . . .

7. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    One of my best lifetime friends was very successful in business and had 7 figure income for a number of years...and is soooo cheap! We never “give” each other anything, we always sell it. He doesn’t buy anything unless he can get a deal. I tell him he’s cheap and he knows it. When I questioned him once about it he said “it’s the way I was raised” (single mom, dad died young).

However, if I said I needed $10,000 I’d have it in a minute. Nothing wrong with being cheap.

8. gofish

gofish Active Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Nope, I'm older than you. I just never post my birthdate on the internet. I just used JFK's assassination date as an easily remembered alternate date when the 1911addicts software asked for a birthdate.

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    The day, the music died . . . . .

I was just a pup.

10. gofish

gofish Active Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I'll never forget Mr. Rhodes coming out of the classroom, tears in his eyes, telling Lucy Blau, "a President can have many enemies". I hadn't heard yet, and didn't understand why he was acting that way. When I actually heard the news, I understood that indirectly Mr. Rhodes was my "first" news.

You are a young pup. :) I can't remember the exact date, but 1959 was the year "the day the music died"- when Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash.

11. gofish

gofish Active Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I pasted this here from his website; it's better than anything I'd take since a pro did them. It's the only one with the target that [​IMG]shows the tightest group he achieved with factory ammo. He does magnificent work.

12. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    no wonder they think you ar e made of $$. beautiful gun and yes high end to say the least. be my friend?

Raylan Givens, Mike Meints and simonp like this.
  13. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I can go both ways. cheap as far as not wasting $$ like overheating or cooling the home. not using AC unless we really need it, shower with the water of f until rinse time,buy gas at a low price if possible, shop the net for best pricing on purchases--including ammo. BUT never scrimp on guns. feed your addiction, starve the rest

14. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Part of the day the music died:

15. gofish

gofish Active Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yah... ain't dat da troof. "YOU!?? that's yours? You must be loaded." Hey, just 'cuz my clothes don't fit and they look passe... look at it this way--I'm a retroactive fashion plate. LOL

Me, too. I've always got some kinda credit squirrelled away in my pre-owned pants. :)

My circumstances were different but the same. Like a whole generation of folks who're seniors now, my generation is an entire population of children raised by child/teen survivors of the actual "Great Depression". I think the vast majority of us can balance a checkbook (where most of our mothers couldn't for that generation), understand the pitfalls of easy credit (at least conceptually), and hoard without compromise. Our (collective) parents were scarred from doing without and that generation was certainly "soooo cheap!". Thankfully, their habits were 'handed down' and I think we learned from them to fend for ourselves.

Cracked me up, Boatdoc. To answer: Sure! I'll call ya next Wednesday for the Seniors Half-off at SalArmy. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Mike Meints and Ohio like this.
  16. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    As I posted in a different thread not too long ago, I joined the Cabela’s VISA Club when they came to our region. I have my “fixed” monthly recurring expenses being charged/consolidated on their card. It’s not a get rich quick scheme but over time, the points do add up. So far, I managed to catch (on sale) a Beretta and a Ruger I wanted and they combined the sell price with a veteran’s discount; so I got a very good price + plus they were free anyway, due to my club points! [I think since Bass Pro bought them, they’ve discontinued the vets discount so that $50 savings has gone away]. I’m sitting on enough points right now for another gun purchase - just haven’t decided what I want. So that’s how I’ve financed at least a couple of my gun purchases!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  17. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    One other additional “off topic” side track. I was also young when Kennedy was assassinated so don’t have any real recollection of the details involved at the time. But like gofish, have a vivid memory of how incredibly sad everyone was. Teachers were sad, mailman, gas station folks....just everyone crying or moping around. Mom cried off’n on for several days; dad (a WWII combat/purple heart veteran) just would shake his head in dis-belief. I never have since seen the whole country in that kind of state. That’s my main memory of it.

18. AVG

AVG Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    gofish
    I am with you. Did you change all the light bulbs to LED in the house ?. Gas is five cent cheaper 20 miles away so the wife and I will eat at BugerKing with a coupon two for one on the trip for gas :). At 78 years old you have to save them bucks for that next 1911 :).

Raylan Givens and Mike Meints like this.
  19. j quan

j quan Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    someone once said, "never count another mans money".sometimes there are reasons, good and bad, that make people seem cheap. one of my best friends is cheap. by his own admission, he can't help it. other merits make him a good friend. you are who you are. when all is said and done, if you regretted not doing something that you had the money to do, then being cheap is bad. otherwise, cheap people can be very happy with themselves. if he got high end guns, he don't mind spending money on something he likes. not knowing him, i wouldn.t call him cheap. just the ramblings of an old man on meds.

20. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I don't have kids, wives, ex-wives and rent my girlfriends so i'm a one person economic stimulus show

Whiten, samuse, Raylan Givens and 4 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted