Bear Attack

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Mike Meints, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    BR549er likes this.
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    12 gauge slugs or a painfully large caliber rifle

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    It was a glock that's the problem. Seriously though I'm with Mouche 12 ga slugs. Lots of em.

tac45 and Mike Meints like this.
  4. Badguybuster

Badguybuster Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2018
    If you are in big bear country there is zero excuse not to be toting a 12g. a handgun in any caliber is not sufficient.

tac45 and Mike Meints like this.
  5. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    UBOATDOC and Mike Meints like this.
  6. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    12 Gauge Slugs from an 8+1 pump or S/A, 45/70 Guide Gun and at least have a round in the chamber and make sure anyone else that might have to use the pistol knows what the hell he is doing.

Lastly, Never get separated from your gun.

Karsten

UBOATDOC, BR549er and FWoo45 like this.
  7. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Sounds like operator error. From the article:
    • There was not a round in the chamber, so the gun was empty. He couldn’t make the gun work. [...] Investigators found the Glock and its magazine in different locations, Hovinga told WyoFile. The evidence raised speculation that Chubon might have pushed the magazine release button below the trigger guard thinking it was a safety switch. [...] “In the process of trying to manipulate [it], we think he dropped the magazine, or it wasn’t engaged and it fell out when he picked [the pistol] up,” Hovinga said.
    The residents of Alaska have proven in recent years that both 9mm and 10mm can be an effective bear defense round. However, you can't just use FMJ or HP rounds. You must use ammo designed for big game, such as the hard cast flat nose lead bullets by Buffalo Bore.

https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...ishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

I carried a 12 gauge slug gun and a 44 mag revolver when I lived in Alaska. This was back in 2000's, before pistols of any kind were trusted for backcountry use. (I spent 4 years in Fairbanks, AK.) Here's the thing about shotguns. They're a pain in the ass to keep with you 100% of the time. When you're making camp, cooking, filtering water, etc, the shotgun gets set down so that you can work. Often, it ends up well out of arms reach. This is why a handgun is a must.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Hmm, apparently your guys dont read very well.

The problem was not the gun, it was the only person who knew how to operate it correctly actually took it off, set it far away and did not have one in the chamber. The other guy had no clue how to operate it and at the very least should have had some live ammo training prior to them going on the hunt.

As far as a handgun being insufficient, well thats not even close to being accurate. Any .10mm, 44 or larger WITH THE RIGHT BULLETS will work and they are also faster to draw, swing and shoot. Add to that you will not need to set it down to clean an animal like you would a long gun. Bears have been killed with .22's, 9mm, 357's etc... but most guys up here use 10mm or larger. I'm comfortable with the 454 casull

9. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Ruger Alaskan in either .454 Casull or .480 Ruger.

wcanterbury and ImperialBlade like this.
  10. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Guide relaxed when he should have been most aware.
    Like PewPewPtwang said,long guns a nuisance when both hands are busy.
    Still, someone should have looked around...
    Like the last big screen TV on Black Friday....them bears WANT IT!!!

BR549er and Mike Meints like this.
  11. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Humm, to quote yourself....Apparently you don't read much at all or you would have seen that was addressed in post #6 Above.

12 Gauge Slugs from an 8+1 pump or S/A, 45/70 Guide Gun and at least have a round in the chamber and make sure anyone else that might have to use the pistol knows what the hell he is doing.

Lastly, Never get separated from your gun.

Just sayin,

Karsten

12. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Hmm, you need to look a little closer, your other post was posted as I was writing my post, I could not have seen it as I was writing mine at the same time

Just sayin...

13. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I grew up on a cattle ranch in western Montana a long time ago. My father and uncles would always take a 30-06 and the 45-70 out to hunt marauding bears and wolves. They carried handguns but did not use them to kill these animals. This was in the old days when you could kill things to protect your property.

In later life I saw a ranger kill a grizzly with one shot from a .44 magnum handgun, it wasn't charging but it was just being a nuisance. Perfect lucky headshot.

Me, I'd go with a long gun, I'm more accurate with one, especially with rapid follow up shots. In areas with long toothed predators we were always taught to have one person dressing and the other watching. But like I said this was in the olden times.

And then again, this is the Interweb, a long way from open country. Myself, since the army I'm not big on killing anything and haven't hunted in a long time, so don't take me as particularly knowledgeable about this subject.

I always was taught handguns were the third line of defense.

nmbuzz, UBOATDOC, BR549er and 5 others like this.
  14. Acroyer

Acroyer I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    My choice for bear defense:

Flame.gif

15. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
  16. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I look at it the same as I do home defense. Handgun is just to get me to a long gun. In both scenarios handguns have proven to be effective. I'm not going to handicap myself if I can avoid it. Most of my hiking is of the expensive variety (read hunting bambi). So I've usually got a rifle of some sort. It is true though that it is easy to get absent minded and put down your gun. Hence the handgun.

Kip likes this.
  17. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    When I’m in Bear country , I use Garrett’s 540gr. +p magnums
    In my Marlin guide gun .
    7F7AA266-84C1-484B-A4BE-B950C8DD06EF.jpeg
    It works very well on elephants,rino ,and buffalo.
    As a matter of fact I haven’t seen any left in the neighborhood. :roflmaro:
    Sighted in at 50yds then moved to 100 , first shot low at 100 then adjusted .
    Yesterday

7A7915A4-5A76-47BF-A57A-367F54B95697.jpeg
    24B01F72-63D0-4F88-99D4-3812A5745B53.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  18. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted