1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is VMAX good for bear defense? In both the U.S. and Alaska, too? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bear ammo threads should only be started in the late afternoon when we have time to pop some popcorn and grab a libation.
Takes preparation to peruse answers from members who have never seen a bear in the wild.
I have. And in 2019, we were on bear alert for a week after a truck hit one outside our trailer. Mauser did not outside unless I had my 1911 loaded with .45 FMJ with me. Happily, we found it dead behind a shed.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I have. And in 2019, we were on bear alert for a week after a truck hit one outside our trailer. Mauser did not outside unless I had my 1911 loaded with .45 FMJ with me. Happily, we found it dead behind a shed.
Lived in the Virginia mountains for years and took a few there. They don’t prepare you for the grizzlies of the Bob Marshall or the Browns of Alaska.
The first Alaska bear I came face to face with was around a bend in a stream at about 15 feet.
To this day, it is still my belief that the bear ran off because it had never seen a person simultaneously doing the Charleston, the Watusi, the Pony and the Bugaloo while wearing a pair of chest waders and caring a long switch.
That was in the late 1960’s and still at nighttime bear gatherings they tell the ‘Story of the dancing man in the rubber pants’ to the delight on the cubs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I always bring a 22lr and a Bernie Sanders supporter. I see a bear, one shot to the Bernie Bro's knee, and I run. Works with Hillary supporters also.

·
Turgid member
526 Posts
Is VMAX good for bear defense? In both the U.S. and Alaska, too? Thank you in advance.
With all due respect you need to start at square one in your ammo search.
First you don't tell us the caliber. It matters.
Next the V-MAX states in it's description it is for varmints. It is designed to rapidly expand in small light skinned animals. Bears are built differently.
I don't know if you are a troll or are really serious.

Reactions: nikerret

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
107 Posts
OP - If you're using anything less than .44 mag you'll want to file your front sight down.
That way when the bear shoves the pistol up your backside it won't hurt as much.

I live adjacent to the "Bob" in Montana btw.
Lol....that is signature material right there.

Reactions: Dub

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
107 Posts
I live in Litchfield County CT. We have A LOT of black bears in the 400-500 lb. range. So much so, I have an alarm by my garbage cans. Most bears will run for the hills when they encounter you. I think a 10mm would be adequate if you had to put one on ice.

Reactions: Autonomous

·
Turgid member
526 Posts
I live in Litchfield County CT. We have A LOT of black bears in the 400-500 lb. range. So much so, I have an alarm by my garbage cans. Most bears will run for the hills when they encounter you. I think a 10mm would be adequate if you had to put one on ice.
Even among Alaskan guides there is a movement from heavy revolvers to the 10mm for dangerous animal protection.
The small loss of power is more than offset by more and easier follow up shots.

Reactions: timw1 and Dub
1 - 20 of 26 Posts