Beauty or the Beast?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jmr986, Oct 22, 2018.

1. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I may be winding down and looking towards retirement. As gifts to myself, from my wife and kids, I am planning on buying a nice guitar and gun. The guitar decision is easy, want/need a Les Paul. The gun choice is a little harder.

I'm an enthusiast like most of you addicts, not loyal to one brand in particular, but have a little something from most makers. Half are .357 Revolvers, the rest are semi-auto, with an AR15 thrown in just to pi$$ off the snowflakes. Looking for a good shooter. With 2 bad shoulders and old eyes competition is not an option. But club plinking maybe. Anyways, to my question.

Considering a Volkmann or an Atlas Gunworks. Two entirely different guns. The only thing they have in common is they both aint cheap! With any of my "toys" I have a bit of OCD so I'm concerned the Volkmann may become a safe queen, but damn they are pretty. The Atlas I know I'll shoot the snot out of it, but is it overkill for plinking? Oh and buying both is not an option, probably.

You guys are great at advice and spending money. Just soliciting feedback. Thanks in advance.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    I won't even offer my own opinion, I'll just quote you.

Case closed.

cwoods, Raven312, Chief1297 and 3 others like this.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    If your wanting a full on Open gun w/compensator & popples It will get tiresome after a while. Plus you will likely need to run hot loads for it to run properly.
    Just a 2011 type Limited gun? Knock yourself out. Many of us have 2011's for that reason. I own a few but prefer my CZ for competition.

4. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I hadn't heard of Atlas, and I don't compete, but after checking them out I think the only reason I would go with an Atlas is if I did compete.

Between the 2 options I would go with the Volkmann and make a personal promise to shoot it regularly.

5. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Hello jmr986, welcome to the forum!

With regard to your question, I will start with the beauty first.
    Have you thought about Infinity Pistols? They are about the same price range as Atlas and you have MANY more options. They are a top tier maker of truly unique and customized 2011 pistols.
    Here is there link: http://www.sviguns.com/

As far as the beast Volkman is a fine pistol, no doubt, but in the same range of price you can look at high end Wilsons, Business End Customs, Chambers Customs. The last two are forum sponsor as active here. I am sure there are other pistols smiths I have neglected to add that also are active on this forum so I Apologize in advance.

I would encourage you to check out this link created by one of the moderators from this forum, as you might find it enlightning: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/

6. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think the Atlas Nemesis is a beauty. It's on my radar as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Personally I know a great addict that has a super nice volkmann for sale. Although I would have been lightly fired it had a little scratch on the barrel and the gentleman send it in for a new Barrel is asking prices well within reason of probably 2/3 to half of what the pistol is actually worth. It's a bobtail Commander I believe and absolutely beautiful specimen if you'd like I can put you in touch with him and at the very least you could take a look at a really nice example. To top that off you probably couldn't ask for a greater guy to deal with. I mean he refused to put the gun up for sale until he replaced the barrel because of a scratch LOL that's my type of guy to do business with. @Badabing11 maybe you should show this gentleman some pictures of that fine volkmann that you have.

8. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Imperial Blade thanks for your feedback. I did browse the SVI site, and even found a few on gunbroker. I may play around with a gun build, but for now I'm confused enough between the two. Although I swear this is a final bucket list gun, well you guys know how that goes ...

ImperialBlade likes this.
  9. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Thanks Steve, and yes I would I like to see some pics. In box is OK.

Steve Owens and ImperialBlade like this.
  10. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    tarosean I was thinking the Tactical Limited or maybe even the Nemesis. Not a full on Open gun, like in my avtar! lol. Intrigued by the fixed site on the Nemesis.

11. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Damn you guys are good!

ImperialBlade likes this.
  12. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

Have you looked at the STI Omni? within the same ballpark and comes the ability to mount a Red Dot.

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I just reached out him in text and he should be getting with ya..

14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Badabing11 likes this.
  15. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Thanks I followed up with badabing

Badabing11 and Steve Owens like this.
  16. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Thanks Steve,
    I'll likely be putting the Volkkmann bobtail up for sale in a couple weeks.

Joe, I know mine isn't the style you're looking for. But a Volkmann is a beauty and shoots like a beast. Can't go wrong. If your ocd gets the best of you ( I understand that ) a refinish isnt a stretch at all. Plus , it will hold up better than you might think.

jmr986 and Steve Owens like this.
  17. Coolsound

Coolsound Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2018
    My vote is for the Volkmann. Awesome guns in both appearance and quality. Luke is very nice to deal with as well. I just picked up my second Signature and hopefully a Combat Carry soon...

18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Have you played a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24( PRS ). ? One of my favorites.

4421A700-FE46-4C28-8F5B-F9C38B2D711F.jpeg 9F370FD9-A56F-41AB-9F56-89163740BF09.jpeg

19. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Yes another bucket list item, after the LP. The Volkmann of the guitar world? Another beauty vs. beast dilemma!

20. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Ok guys just bringing closure to this thread. I ended up getting the Titan, glad I did. Thanks for all the feedback.

513EB309-EDF8-488E-B195-3CA7A51E0E64.jpeg

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    WC145, SVG, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted