Beavertail and/or Undercut on Hi Power

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by NIU2009, Sep 15, 2020.

1. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I've got a couple of BHPs that I'll be sending out for work. Looking for feedback on the necessity of a beavertail and/or undercutting the trigger guard frame area. My only comparison is that the hammer of a WWII Colt bites my hand significantly. I can't get through 3 mags without a bloody mess. I haven't been able to shoot either of the BHPs, so I'm going on faith here a bit - please provide any feedback.

Thanks

2. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    You really need to shoot the gun(s).
    I am not much subject to hammer bite and would not pay for a welded on beavertail.
    But two friends were eaten up by my P210-6, one fired three shots and handed it back, saying "You might ought to wipe the blood off your gun."

3. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Appropriate Hammer modification is usually adequate to prevent Hammer bite with a Hipower. Some people just like the Beavertail on a custom gun.

gaijin likes this.
  4. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I've not seen a beavertail on a BHP that doesn't look awkwardly exaggerated. I'd explore other hammer options.

I've never felt the need for an undercut trigger guard either, but your hands are not my hands so YMMV

5. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    There are times when one must decline the beavertail.....and a Hi Power is one of them.

6. Soundguy

Soundguy High Power Fan

Jan 18, 2018
    I agree with the crowd so far - Just say no to the beaver tail.

A No-Bite hammer (C&S) will solve the problem, as will a lower grip which may also improve your trigger control. I install an SFS kit in each of my High Powers and do not suffer from hammer bite.

Cbzr1107 likes this.
  7. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Have not seen a beavertail on any hi power that I would be happy with. They seem over done,, and look well, stupid. All my hi powers wear the C&S no bite hammer option. And being this hammer is hard, I also install the C&S, or EGW hard sear (much cheaper) at the same time. Never had a problem. Also install the heavy, 2 coil, trigger return spring at same time. It adds an audible , firm trigger reset.

Austin_TX and Cbzr1107 like this.
  8. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    7171C2FB-63EE-4CE3-AC88-EBF9E2ECFCDC.jpeg The nighthawk on the left has a beaver tail. I don’t love it

Cbzr1107 likes this.
  9. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I am not a huge fan of beavertails on BHPs. I only have one. To the OP there are other ways to avoid hammer bite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Thanks, all. You've talked me out of the beavertail. It does look odd on a gun that is otherwise svelte. I've also been advised that there isn't much material that's able to be removed for an undercut as the magwell frame is already thin.

11. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    The pic posted by WVsig shows a great looking custom BH-P, with the best looking beavertail option I've seen. Still, though, I'm in the no bt on MY BH-Ps. Truthfully I don't own any H-P as nice as the ones WVsig posts pic of.

WVsig likes this.
  12. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I agree I opted for no beavertail on my Yost. The one above was done by Bob Cogan of APW Cogan and I bought it as a complete custom gun. All I have done is swap grips back and forth.

switchback likes this.
  13. switchback

Jun 2, 2014
    A stunning T sir. Love me some hard chrome. Not sure I've seen S&W K adjustable rear sight on a hi power before? (if I've identified it correctly) just a great looking pistol.

14. Tokarev

Tokarev Active Member

Mar 27, 2019
    Has anyone ever had a "tang extension" done? Not the full-on upswept beavertail but rather just a bit of material to extend the back of the frame yet still keep the factory lines. I think something like 3/8" might be enough to help those who get a bit of skin protruding up around the factory tang.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

15. mcs1564

mcs1564 Active Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  16. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I swear I saw a pic of a practical that had that, but now I can’t seem to find it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted