Bedtime routine

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Yellowsupersport, Oct 25, 2020.

1. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Just to clarify, my carry is placed on the nightstand in my holster.

Kind of a funny story, years ago my podnah was awakened at zero dark thirty by a phone call.
    His unholstered Glock was on the nightstand with his phone.........
    Yup, he grabbed the wrong one.
    Result was a divot in the cinder block wall a foot from his head,
    and a Queensland Heeler that never again trusted him 100%.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    gaijin likes this.
  2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    I use my carry pistol as my nightstand gun. But I do believe in removing it from the holster overnight to let both breathe. I've seen some nasty rust on guns left in damp leather.

3. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I take the gun & holster off my belt and put it in my drawer in the kitchen. I have guns all over the house if I need one. Plus I prefer a larger gun for housework vs a smaller lighter one for carry.

FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  4. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Just a thought....
    having 'guns all over the house'
    might lead to an intruder finding and using them against you?

FWoo45, cgff and Dub like this.
  5. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Anyone coming after me is already armed.

6. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

It will make for a sporty encounter. :)

I pretty much do the same as @Descartian with guns all over house.

During the early days of the ‘rona there were likely more loaded 1911’s in the house than there were rolls of toilet paper. True story.

FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.
  7. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I don’t just have them laying around mounted on the walls or sitting on counters. You might come across one but most likely you won’t ever see one (except the ones in my wife’s and mine kitchen drawers and bedside carbines and shotguns.

We have a big three story house. It wouldn’t be practical to have fewer or to have them locked up, you wouldn’t be able get to them quick enough to use them.

Rick McC. likes this.
  8. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I buy everything in bulk whether it’s ammo or TP. There might be more guns than toilet paper in the house but it’s not from a lack of TP but an over abundance of guns. Ammo is the same way. I usually have a thousand rounds of any caliber I regularly shoot and I usually buy 9mm in 5k or more round buys and re-up when I get down to 1000 or so. I’ve seen to many shortages and price hikes over the years, plus it makes me uncomfortable when I run out of things. I like having well stocked shelves, you should see my pantry definitely type A organized.

9. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Yes; my carry gun is removed in the holster and placed on the nite stand; along with the unholstered pistols, flashlights and spare mags that live there.

My blue heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) is on the other side of the bedroom door. I probably don’t really need the guns...

EF987E10-C42A-41AE-9834-6485206E9FDF.jpeg

10. DrHenley

DrHenley Active Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Carry gun gets unloaded.
    I have a dedicated bedside 44 SPl revolver on one side of the bed and dedicated bedside 45 ACP carbine on the other.

The revolver is in a bookshelf with the butt sticking out for rapid deployment.

OneEyedTanker likes this.
  11. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Never actually had a heeler but we dog-sat a cylindrical female for the old man's buddy when I was just a pup myself. My pops said he'd leave my baby sister on any street corner with that dog. Only other dog he said that about was my 120# Rottie girl. He was probably right about the heeler, Xena, my Rott, let my ex march right into my house without a peep. This was years ago, and I may have been passed out as opposed to asleep. Note to self, asking the dog wtf? doesn't calm down an angry woman. Especially not one who registers in the top right corner of the hot/crazy scale.

1L26 and OneEyedTanker like this.
  12. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Hey Doc; why do you unload your carry gun?

Mongoose likes this.
  13. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    To scooch out that OAL of the carry ammo. Duh.

14. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Yeah I read that and the first thing I thought of was that ammo could/would get compressed over time and over pressured.

Rick McC. likes this.
  15. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Carry gun(s) placed on table by pants/belt/holster.

Bikini briefs and Yukata donned.

Katana removed from Katana Kake and placed within easy reach of bed.

Dedicated bedside gun(s) removed from secure storage and staged beside bed.

Restroom gun(s) removed from double baggies in toilet tank and placed on lavatory counter.

June Bug and Luci asleep at foot of bed.

Phone, lights and Baofeng on bedside table.

Alarm ON.

GTG. Sweet dreams.

B81 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted