Beginner trying to build a 1911...

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ajstrider, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    So how does a total beginner who has nothing more than shoot and clean most guns, go about learning to assemble and fit 1911s? What kind of tools am I going to need and such. I see I can buy most parts slightly oversized so I can work on them with a file or something and fit them myself. Is there a good kit out there to start with or what?

I find these guns fascinating and would love to learn how to fit them and keep them running reliably and such.

Andy

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Brownels.com has guides.

3. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
  4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Send me a PM with your email address, I have the manuals.

5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith

Sep 11, 2011
    AJ, didn't you read the article I sent you? It gives you the answer you are looking for...

6. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    +1 These were a huge help for me!

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    If you're going to roll your own. My first and foremost advice is to have patient. That's more important than anything else. Without patient, you can quickly turn a nice part into a hunk of worthless metal.

Some really good files will help a lot. You'll need some small diamond files to access small places and shave off metal.

A nice selection of various grits of sandpaper will also help. Flat metal bar to wrap the paper around.

And lastly, a nice digital or analog caliper.

8. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Joe, I have no messages from you in my inbox, you might try to send it again.

Andy

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted