Beirut Explosion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JM44, Aug 4, 2020.

1. PeterNSteinmetz

PeterNSteinmetz Active Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Can you clarify where you obtained that equivalent.

The bomb dropped on Hiroshima was perhaps 18 ktn TNT equivalent and it flattened that whole city.

The number you state would be about 1/18 of that.

ETA: I see the RE of 0.42 is fairly well known. Wow, bigger than I thought.

JM44 likes this.
  2. 1911_Bandit

1911_Bandit Batteries_included

Mar 5, 2020
    Meaning that the poor little Ryder truck was carrying 4,600,000 pounds (2300 tons) of explosives? I'm not sure I'm following this correctly.

If it was 2300 KG, or 5000 pounds of explosives ... that's much more reasonable.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020

3. das_dude

das_dude “Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude Supporting Addict

Nov 2, 2015
    Yep 2300 kg, sorry for the typo....thanks for pointing this out - I corrected the resulting math as well.

Mike Meints and 1911_Bandit like this.
  4. Barefootdog

Barefootdog Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Beirut was once a beautiful international city known for its hospitality welcoming tourists from around the world.

This is just more unnecessary death and destruction. Heartbreaking.

JM44, 1911_Bandit and PeterNSteinmetz like this.
  5. 1911_Bandit

Mar 5, 2020
    Many of you may not know / remember, 241 Marines lost their lives when a truck bomb was exploded, bringing down the Marine barracks in Beirut, in October 1983. Snipers were shooting at the rescuers. I have a friend who was in the building at the time. He lost many friends that day.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...ut-barracks-bombing-the-blt-building-is-gone/

Sad to note, the ROE at the time dictated that the security guards did NOT have loaded weapons. If they did, they may have been able to stop this attack outside of the compound.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Dub, UBOATDOC, Babboonbobo and 5 others like this.
  6. reconb2

reconb2 Active Member

May 4, 2020
    Our first duty is to remember. I also served with a couple of men who survived as well as several men who were in the platoon that replaced Charlie 3.

7. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    I lived in Beirut as a child before that happened. The only place there at the time that had English speaking teachers was on that base. I used to drive thru the entrance gate on a daily basis.
    Beirut was always known as the Paris of the Middle East. As obvious Americans my brother and I walked and played all over that city back then. We never had any problems. Then the civil war broke out and we got out in the last plane to leave the city with Americans/Foreign dignitaries fleeing the city. Airport that night was complete chaos. My father who was in Paris at the time called the taxi driver who used to take us to school and asked him to come get my mother, brother and I. I was young but still remember going thru checkpoints and him bribing his way thru. Same thing when we got to the airport. It was mayhem with people everywhere. Somehow some way he got us thru all that and drove us right up to the plane. We got out of the taxi with just the clothes we had on and boarded the plane. Left our house full and didn’t have ability to take anything with us. It was just get out as fast as possible. When we were taking off there were people on the runway still trying to get out. As we took off again even though I was young I can still remember seeing the fighting, shooting and tracers being shot all around on the ground.

azpoolguy, Capthobo, Dub and 10 others like this.
  8. djc

djc Active Member

Jul 1, 2013
    JM44 and 7.62Kolectr like this.
  9. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    This is loosely translated from Arabic for more info on what happened:

The media circulated a novel,
    From the source of the shipment of ammonium nitrate that caused the disaster in the port of Lebanon, and the terrible explosion that echoed the island of Cyprus.

This novel was likely that the shipment of ammonium nitrate reached Beirut harbour warehouses on a ship called ′′ Rhosus ′′ carrying the flag of Moldava with 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate.
    The ship ′′ Rhosus ′′ launched on September 23, 2013 from Port Batumi, Georgia, heading to Mozambique, and came to Beirut Harbor, where it underwent technical inspection by port authorities, and experts reportedly discovered major flaws On the ship and they decided to prevent her from continuing her journey.
    Most crew of the cargo ship reportedly returned home, and the captain and 3 crew members were forced to stay on board.
    The ship's problem could not be solved after all attempts to contact its owner failed.
    As indicated, immigration regulations have made it more complicated by preventing them from entering the country.
    In addition to this problem, and the failure to supply the ship with supplies or supplies, the situation on board has turned into a ′′ humanitarian issue ", It was reported that diplomatic efforts themselves failed to solve it.
    Eventually, the remaining crew members contacted specialized legalists, arguing that the life of sailors was threatened after they were stranded, as well as the nature of the ship's dangerous shipment.
    The attempt was successful and the judge issued an emergency order, shortly after which the sailors left Beirut.
    Subsequently, the shipowner's silence continued, and the responsibility of the heavily explosive shipment left on the authorities in Beirut harbour.
    Legal issues likely to have prevented the sale of ammonium nitrate shipment in public auction, as the only way to get rid of its dangerous consequences.
    Thus, according to this novel, tons of this explosive substance were transferred, sometime between July 2014 and October 2015 to a warehouse in Beirut harbor, and remained there until the ban occurred.
    Source: International media

JM44 likes this.
  10. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Holy smokes! Look at the before and after pic.

3CFBF083-5D10-4672-8831-426034BC172C.jpeg

livinthelife, Dub, JM44 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    And look at the apartment complex right next to it, still standing. As well as the ships. Interesting.

UBOATDOC, JM44 and limbkiller like this.
  12. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    State owned harbor employee/company building for conducting things. But yes it is amazing it wasn’t flattened.

Edit: seems they were grain silos, not work buildings.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    JM44 likes this.
  13. 1911_Bandit

Mar 5, 2020
    JM44 likes this.
  14. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    wow! Laziness and complacency brought it upon themselves. I don’t think sinking fertilizer would be hazardous to the environment would it? I don’t know but it seems if he abandoned it they should have towed it out to sea and sunk it or unloaded it and distributed it throughout the region for use in the fertile valleys. What a shame.

JM44 likes this.
  15. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    JM44 and 7.62Kolectr like this.
  16. 1911_Bandit

Mar 5, 2020
    Does anyone know if the shock wave travels at the speed of sound (approx. 760 mph)?

JM44 and UBOATDOC like this.
  17. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    About 1600 FPS give or take a little dependent on altitude, temperature and bar. pressure.

1911_Bandit and JM44 like this.
  18. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Yep...a tad faster. Mach 1.35

1911_Bandit and JM44 like this.
  19. Larry Baldwin

Larry Baldwin Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Ammonium nitrate is a high order explosive that requires a booster charge to explode. Looks like fireworks stored in the same facility provided ignition.

JM44 and UBOATDOC like this.
  20. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Figures Russia was behind it. Them or China are behind most humanitarian or environmental disasters...

Antechinus and UBOATDOC like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted