Benelli M4 / M1014

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Bye Felicia., Apr 27, 2019.

1. Bye Felicia.

Bye Felicia. Previously RS.

Dec 21, 2017
    Anyone own one and have thoughts on it as a good HD, 3 Gun shotgun?

2. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    I've never been a huge fan of shotguns for home defense but I don't see why an M4 would be drastically better or worse than other similar models. Most semi-autos in that price range are equally reliable.

A Benelli M2 or Beretta 1301 might be a better choice for a game gun, simply because there are more aftermarket parts and options available for those models.

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I have a 1301 that's a "repel boarders" gun.
    I have the 2 (?) rd. mag. extension. It's reasonably soft shooting with 00 and slugs, but I've never found ANY shotgun that was enjoyable shooting those rds.

It would probably suck as a serious 3 gun shotgun, more rds/higher capacity and ability to speed load is lacking.

It IS a dandy home defense gun however.

wrmiller likes this.
  4. gaines67

gaines67 Member

May 8, 2017
    I purchased a Benelli M4 about six months ago and couldn’t be happier. I bought it new on gunbroker and it had the 7 round mag and the collapsible stock already installed. A delight to shoot, whether buck or slugs. The sights are excellent and the gun is very accurate. Not one problem and I have about 300 rounds through it. The only thing I changed was the charging handle. I can’t speak to 3 gun but can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be appropriate; accurate and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. b_san

b_san Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Factory M4 SBS w/ collapsible stock here, 14" breacher with a Trijicon RMR on a Asgard Defense shell carrier/top rail. Great gun, ghost load an extra round and never had any problems.

6. the.batman

the.batman Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    +1 on Benelli M2 3 Gun. Mine has 8 round mag tube and will cycle #12 bird shot followed by a slug, followed by #6, followed by 00 Buck.... It Just Runs

7. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    My brother in law loves his and it has been his home defense gun since they were first adopted by USMC.

8. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    I'm a bird hunter and one day I came to a realization, that I had sold off all my HD shotguns.

Seeking to remedy this situation immediately, I started looking at an M4. After much time (okay it was like 30 min lol), I settled on a Benelli M2.

I run SBEs all year for birds with zero complaints. The M2 is the same setup as the SBE, just 3" instead of 3-1/2".

Thats not to say that the M4 ain't a bad ass shotgun. Plenty of my friends have them and they're a pleasure to shoot. However the price and weight, were what lead me to going with the M2.

As mentioned above, there's a ton of 3 Gun people running M2s. Heck I'd say the majority of them are running the M2.

Breda is also an option and is basically a M2/SBE. The HK team switched to them recently for 3 gun and Taran Tactical has started tuning them too.

Someone also mentioned the Beretta 1301. I got to play with one and they're a nice little gun too. My big hang up is the position of the safety being in front of the trigger. I've shot Remingotn's and Brownings too long to mess around with that lol.

9. Bye Felicia.

Bye Felicia. Previously RS.

Dec 21, 2017
    Part of my allure to the M4 is that I’m a Marine and that’s what we use. But there is a used 18” M2 at my LGS for $829 that is pulling on my heart.

10. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Your guys shotgun is way cooler than ours lol. We (Army Infantry), got stuck with Mossberg 500s to kick doors with.

That M2 for $829 is a screaming deal. Does it have the comfort tech stock?

11. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    #12 Bird Shot?? Where do you buy that lol?

12. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Yeah, that's a good price on a used M2.

13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    An M4 is a damn fine, hard use shotgun. It’s the only auto I would want to depend on.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted