Beowulf 50- Opinions?

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by PhilaPop, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PhilaPop

PhilaPop Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2016
    I like big bore guns and have several hand cannons. They include 2 Desert Eagles (44 and 50AE), 2 S&W 500 Magnums (4" and 8 3/8"), a BFR chambered in 45-70, several 1911s, and a bunch of 9mm handguns. I have 2 AR15s and an AR10, plus a 44 Mag Henry. I don't hunt but I do like big bore guns, and I don't consider myself an expert. I normally shoot once or twice a week.

I recently started seeing info on the 50 Beowulf (specifically Alexander Arms, and I would buy the entire gun). The more I read on the web and Youtube, the more interested I became. My gunsmith (who I consider very knowledgeable, although maybe not on this gun) reported he has seen problems w/ the Beowulf, including jamming.

I would be interested in hearing from any owners of the 50 Beowulf or anyone who has at least shot the rifle. Have you had problems? Jamming? Would you buy the Beowulf again if you had it to do over again?

Thx much...

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018

3. nevermiss

nevermiss Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Unless you reload your own ammo I would recommend against it. The Beowulf is still a proprietary cartage and Alexander Arms is the only producer of ammo. When I first picked up my Beowulf I waited almost 3 months for Alexander Arms to finally getting around to sending me the ammo I ordered. Now if you reload it's much better, Starline makes the brass and other then a few components, notably the spitzer bullets you can load anything Alexander Arms makes. If you do decide to get one make sure the barrel is threaded I got my upper used and the muzzle break was glued on and took off down range the first time I fired it.

4. PhilaPop

PhilaPop Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Thx guys, I appreciate your input. I read the article Bloodhound above sent, and I think it's an honest reviews from what I've already read. I do not reload my own ammo and I'm not a hunter, but I am an addicted owner/shooter/collector who also stocks 1 - 2 cases of ammo for each hand cannon I own (e.g., .50AE, 500 S&W), just in case... From what I've seen, the ammo costs about $1.30 - $2.00 a rd, which is about what I spend for the hand cannons. I have heard from others about buying just the upper from Alexander, but my plan would be to buy the entire gun from them, complete w/ muzzle break. But I still haven't read any *problems* w/ the gun, so if you own the gun, pls let me know what you think. Here's a piece of the review from above, a good summary, Thx again for taking the time to share your input...

By the time your new upper arrives, you’re going to be as excited as the time you had your first blind date with your first sure thing. But then, it hits you. Unless you hunt buffalo on a regular basis, what good is the .50 Beowulf? Unadulterated overkill for self-defense, not quite accurate enough for high power target shooting and possibly too much gun for whitetails or muleys, it seems like a rifle with limited utility.

So it comes down to this one question: is the pure fun of shooting this beast worth the waiting time and money?

Oh hell yeah.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted