1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to pick up a new beretta sxs for some competition shooting, and liked the beretta 486 486 (Plus I have had really good experiences with Beretta shotguns over the years), but notice they are hard to come by. Does anyone know:
1- of these are being discontinued, and if so- replaced by something similar?
2-If they are still available, whether other etching patterns exist. I heard that Beretta released a ‘field scene’ etching that was different than the floral etching at some point, perhaps for Europe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Dallas Gallery had one with a dragon, Marc Newson I believe, the last time I stopped by. Think I saw an EL too. Don’t think they’re being replaced, but they kept news of the 692 being discontinued quiet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Dallas Gallery had one with a dragon, Marc Newson I believe, the last time I stopped by. Think I saw an EL too. Don’t think they’re being replaced, but they kept news of the 692 being discontinued quiet.
that Marc newson 486 is spectacular- though I think it runs about $20K— I can afford about 5K right now after selling a couple guns. May ask them about it tomorrow though.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you really want to shoot competition SXS events the 486 is not a great choice. I did shoot a Beretta 470 awhile, and quite well, but I reloaded light 7/8 loads for it. It only weighed 6.5 pounds so it was definitely not a high volume target gun. It was spectacular on wild pheasants, sharptails and huns.
I do own a few American classics. I have a Fox AE with 30" barrels that is 7.5 pounds and a 32" LC Smith Wild Fowl that is just over 8 pounds. They are both wonderful for shooting at SXS events. I have had a number of American classics, all of which needed regular repairs if shot frequently. A friend of mine tried shooting older Beretta SXS shotguns real hard at targets and it was an expensive lesson. If I "really" wanted to shoot a SXS full time at targets I would pony up for a Perazzi, but they are $15K and I'm not willing to spend that. I now shoot a pair of Browning BSS SXS guns. I have a 30" 12 gauge and a 28" 20 gauge. Toughest SXS on the planet. Custom gunsmiths use the receivers to make big bore rifles.
So, if you are very casual and can get light 7/8 or 3/4oz loads the Beretta will be okay. If you want to shoot well get a bigger gun that can handle a lot of rounds. Win 21s are okay once tuned up, but I'm not a fan of their aesthetics.
Regards,
Jeff

Reactions: Hurlow8

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
Can vouch for the AyA's.
Have a set (20 & 12 ga) of #2 Sidelocks I've used as Upland guns for years; never a problem, still look great.
Stocks "bent" for appropriate cast off, they fit well and make shooting very simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts