close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berryhill AFP = Dirt Tough!

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by wichaka, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Some may not know the name of Dave Berryhill, of Berryhill Customs, but he's been in the business of building full 1911's for 10 years or so. He contacted me awhile ago and wanted to send me one of his AFP pistol prototypes.

It has some schtuff done to it that may or may not see production, but overall a very usable pistol in my line of work...that being LE street cop, which entails busting down the occasional door. Having been in a few scrapes on the street, needless to say I take my firearms pretty seriously...I don't pack just anything, I'm picky and very opinionated about such things.

To cut to the chase, I went thru a rifle class last month on a very dry and powder dirt range. What follows is an article I wrote about the experiences I've had with said pistol for the last few months;

The command was given “ From the standing position, in tactical mode, drop to the prone position and accurately place 1 round on the target, in three seconds. Then stay in the position until told to do otherwise.”
    The instructor walked down the line and tapped each student on the shoulder, which was the cue to move. My turn came, as I dropped down to the prone the position, the safety came off my M4, my eye caught sight of the target 50 yards away through my CompM3 red dot sight, and I placed my shot on the X in 2.44 seconds.
    After each student had placed their prone shot, he instructed us to place some shots from the roll over prone position to the right, which would press my holster and pistol into the soft almost powder like dirt. Over I went and put 5 rounds into the x. Then over to the left we went. Back and forth 5 times until we could drop from the standing position, and accurately place 1 round from the roll over prone position in 4 seconds. Needless to say, my holster and the Berryhill AFP pistol I was packing that day became containers for that soft powder dirt. I could already picture in my mind the cleaning time that lay before me.
    I was snapped out of that in no time; as after the roll over prone drills, we were immediately called to perform transition drills, where we set up the rifle to allow for one shot, and then switch to the pistol. This was all done without having to look over our equipment, especially our pistols that got up close and personal with the dirt.

With the first shot from the pistol, was not only the usual puff of smoke but a close second was a large dirt plume as well. Even though most every major part and machined crevasse was filled with dirt, the AFP worked without hesitation. The first magazine saw more clouds of dirt than smoke, and the sights were also dirt clouded, but I was able to finish that part of the class with all pistol shots maintaining a respectable group. Needless to say, there were many other pistols at that point that did not fair as well.

Now onto the pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ya done good Dave!

Sorry about trashing your pistol...uh...not! :biglaugh:

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good write-up, thanks.

How do you like the paint on that front sight like that? I've thought about making my front sight more visible.

What lubrication did you use on it before the class? :smilie:

Andy

3. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, what are the last three numbers of the serial number on that pistol? (035 perhaps?) That pistol looks awful familiar to me......

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    That looks so HAWT!!! Nice post.

5. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I put the pain on the sight myself. It helps when the light is at a point where its too much to see the glow tube, yet too dark to see a black sight.

I run Wilsons Ultima-Lube grease.

I don't have the pistol with me at the moment, will check on the 035 when I get home. Have you two met somewhere?

6. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    Yes.....when I was the original owner of that pistol before I sent it back to him for repair, at which time he apparently fixed it, refinished it and sold it to you as a new pistol. It even has the same VZ grips on it that were on the pistol when I sent it back to him for repair. I blew up the pictures you posted, and I am 95% sure it is the same serial number. When did you buy this from him? I sent the pistol back to him in November....never saw it again, but he claimed he could not fix it and was going to build me another one, which he also turned around and sold out from underneath me. I threatened to report the 035 pistol stolen with the BATF and he changed his tune a month or so ago and eventually refunded my money after the threat of a lawsuit and to report the pistol stolen. I can send you the original build sheet and all the paperwork I have for the pistol when it was actually new. A real stand-up and ethical guy that DB is.

7. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I didn't buy the gun, he sent it to me for a test article...I don't own it.

8. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    Yeah.....well it was not his to send. Oh well. It is settled anyway, if in fact, if that is the same pistol. Looks exactly the same, though.

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011

Remind me to never to lend you anything. :faint:

10. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Yep, and I'm sure Dave won't lend anything to me ever again either!

Nope, not the same gun, This one was sent out to be finished and came back dinged up by the finish company.

11. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    Then you just confirmed it.....it is the same gun. The story I got was that it came back from Melonite messed up and was not repairable. Same gun, Wichaka...Needless to say, I won't be doing any business with DB, nor will I recommend him to anyone with the way that whole deal went down. Enjoy the pistol....

12. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    Holy crap what are the chances of this happening!
    :pop2:

13. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    DRC - You cant get away from that thing!

14. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    It is a small world, huh?

15. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    So you originally bought the pistol from Dave?

He built it for you?

It didn't run?

You sent it back?

He sent it out for refinishing, and it came back nicked up?

16. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    Dave -that bogus that that happen !

17. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    Pretty much sums it up.....I spec'd that pistol, took delivery, shot it once, it was a disaster, sent it back, and never saw it again until your post......Just got my refund a month or so ago.....9+ months later, only after a threatened lawsuit.

18. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I remember reading about how DB posted that he's taking a lost of the pistol that got screwed up by the refinisher. And the refinisher is claiming that they got the pistol that way.

19. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    All I can say is that it runs like a champ now.

Sorry to hear about the problem, never a good feeling.

20. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Wow......just.......wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.