1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I got a great deal on 1,000 Berry's 230 gr plated RN bullets. I've got once fired brass and WLP primers. I'm looking for a mid-range range load using either Titegroup or Universal Clays.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, I'm seeing the COAL all over the place from 1.210" to 1.270". I recall seeing recommendations for 1.237" when using the Berry's 230 RN. I mocked that up and compared it to the 1.210" COAL I use with a Zero 230 JHP. This seems to put the bullet just a little further out of the case (more room in the case) compared to the 1.210" COAL with the 230 JHP.
If I use the loads listed for a 230 lead RN at 1.210" and seat the bullet further out (use the longer 1.237" COAL) I should be good, right?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'd probably go with titegroup cause its easy and works well with plated or Jacketed bullets

COAL I'd want to plunk test and see how long I could load before hitting the rifling of the barrel. Load a dummy up with it at 1.270 and see if it will drop all the way into the bbl. You also want to make sure it will fit your mags.

I load 230 RN at 1.250 across the board and they shoot accurately , fit the mags and have never given me any problems FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I used to load 4.5 & 5.0gr. Titegroup for years with plated and FMJ, respectively and never had an issue. 5.0gr. under a 200gr. LSWC was a good one as well.

I haven't stocked Titegroup in years and I buy Universal in 4lb. jugs, but I use it for revolver cartridges. I moved away from Titegroup and I'm fine with it, but I also appreciate that if I had kept using it for all these years I'd be shooting away. I do believe Titegroup is suited for high pressure rounds, but at the same time I loaded at least 25k rounds of .45acp with it in the late '00's.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
I am another titegroup user and liek tat in 9mm and 45 acp

as far as c o a l, I suggest loading a few dummy rounds around 1.200" and see if they load easily and chamber in your 45 acp guns. check each gun too. be sure that the c o a l you choose is good for all of them to save problems later

I had one gun that likes a C O A L of 1.140" ( 9mm) while plenty of others like 1.14_ to 1.150" so I load all rounds to 1.140"

good luck and congrats on scoring nice bullets

Reactions: Exiledviking

·
Registered
477 Posts
Between those 2 choices for 45acp, I prefer Titegroup. In fact, I loaded a couple hundred rounds of 45acp Fed Guard Dog pulls using 5.0gr of Titegroup. COAL ended up being 2.20 for the sweet spot in a couple different 1911’s. Happy and safe loading!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don’t forget that a cartridge’s COL takes the bullets nose profile into consideration.
Two cartridge’s with the same weight bullet but have wildly different COL measurements could have the same amount of space under the bullet base. Which means both ctg’s will fire with the same pressure.
When ever you load a bullet so it will reduce the volume of space under the bullet to make a shorter COL to cure loading issues, you willl have created a load that will operate at a higher pressure than the load recipe was tested to. The reverse is also true loading to a longer COL (but not jammed into the rifling) will reduce case pressure to something less than the published recipe pressure.
I would load Titegroup, but watch out for double charges as they are usually not visually detectable due to the small volumes of powder used.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
My recommendation is always to buy several current manuals to include Lyman #50, compare the loads listed in them, then pick one.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
I used to load 4.5 & 5.0gr. Titegroup for years with plated and FMJ, respectively and never had an issue. 5.0gr. under a 200gr. LSWC was a good one as well.

I haven't stocked Titegroup in years and I buy Universal in 4lb. jugs, but I use it for revolver cartridges. I moved away from Titegroup and I'm fine with it, but I also appreciate that if I had kept using it for all these years I'd be shooting away. I do believe Titegroup is suited for high pressure rounds, but at the same time I loaded at least 25k rounds of .45acp with it in the late '00's.
Yea but! ;)

COAL with plated is tricky. Never tried one that didn't throw variations in COAL.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Yea but! ;)

COAL with plated is tricky. Never tried one that didn't throw variations in COAL.
That's true. I buy my bullets in lots of at least 500 at a time and very rarely that few. When I started with the Armscor 230gr. FMJ's, for example I set my OAL for that bullet and loaded 3,000 of them. Right now I'm throwing together a 200gr. LSWC from Rim Rock with AA#2 and that came in a box of 700. I have COAL's for my "established" bullets(RR 200 SWC's, 230gr. Hornady FMJ, 230gr. Berry's plated, 230gr. Armscor FMJ, etc.) and now that I have a chrono again establishing them with new bullets, especially plated ones, will be fairly straight forward. 1.260"(give or take .005) is where many of my 230gr. FMJ/plated end up.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
That's true. I buy my bullets in lots of at least 500 at a time and very rarely that few. When I started with the Armscor 230gr. FMJ's, for example I set my OAL for that bullet and loaded 3,000 of them. Right now I'm throwing together a 200gr. LSWC from Rim Rock with AA#2 and that came in a box of 700. I have COAL's for my "established" bullets(RR 200 SWC's, 230gr. Hornady FMJ, 230gr. Berry's plated, 230gr. Armscor FMJ, etc.) and now that I have a chrono again establishing them with new bullets, especially plated ones, will be fairly straight forward. 1.260"(give or take .005) is where many of my 230gr. FMJ/plated end up.
The Xtreme's vary in OAL more than Berry, so you do have to watch it.I buy 200 gn H&G 68s that vary less than Xtreme. Quirky beasts these boolits! ;)

I'll keep you posted in the never ending quest for a good 9mm crimp! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
The Xtreme's vary in OAL more than Berry, so you do have to watch it.I buy 200 gn H&G 68s that vary less than Xtreme. Quirky beasts these boolits! ;)

I'll keep you posted in the never ending quest for a good 9mm crimp! ;)
Wood Material property Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades
Liquid Automotive lighting Orange Drinkware Wood

This is mine on the Hornady dies. So far, so good.

Imagine the success we'd have if we sized them down to .351??? :ROFLMAO:
I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
View attachment 837462 View attachment 837463
This is mine on the Hornady dies. So far, so good.

Imagine the success we'd have if we sized them down to .351??? :ROFLMAO:
I couldn't help myself.
I had an Artilery Luger years ago that had a barrel that was eventually shot out. You could literally drop a bullet through it. I think I'll try to avoid things like that! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I had an Artilery Luger years ago that had a barrel that was eventually shot out. You could literally drop a bullet through it. I think I'll try to avoid things like that! ;)
Apparently, no rifling grooves on your bullet is a point toward accuracy. It's amazing what the "new math" can get you, but I'll remain antiquated on this one. Two plus two still equals four and even though I identified myself as an experimenter and unabashed Nerd, there are specific things so far out that I don't need to test. Ever.

I'll tell you what, all jokes aside Artillery Lugers are very, very appealing and the few museum-type pieces I've seen with snail drums and buttstock holsters get my blood up(but not to the $5-10k or so some of them are valued at). I've never owned a Luger but an Artillery Model that had enough "character" to not be worth thousands and that could still shoot would be a welcome edition to my collection, but they are getting harder to find and of course, more expensive.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Apparently, no rifling grooves on your bullet is a point toward accuracy. It's amazing what the "new math" can get you, but I'll remain antiquated on this one. Two plus two still equals four and even though I identified myself as an experimenter and unabashed Nerd, there are specific things so far out that I don't need to test. Ever.

I'll tell you what, all jokes aside Artillery Lugers are very, very appealing and the few museum-type pieces I've seen with snail drums and buttstock holsters get my blood up(but not to the $5-10k or so some of them are valued at). I've never owned a Luger but an Artillery Model that had enough "character" to not be worth thousands and that could still shoot would be a welcome edition to my collection, but they are getting harder to find and of course, more expensive.
One more note Merton since I can't find the 9mm thread. Another curse of heavy crimps on 9mm rounds, it will cause case "stretching" for lack of a better word. I'm noticing it and called a couple of tech buddies to confirm it.

I just ordered a different crimping die and if it works, I'll start another 9mm thread.

4.8 of autocomp works well in my Guardian. Can't give you accuracy yet, I was feeling like dog poo today, but had to get out of the house and wanted to try the pistol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts