1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pulling my hair.
30,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seven years ago I owned one pistol. I was a rifle and shotgun guy. I grew up idolizing Jack O'Connor, Elmer Kieth, Capstick, Jack Bell, Townsend Whelen, Russell Annabel, Archibald Rutledge and many others. Everything when it came to guns was for hunting. Some of you older guys may see a name you have heard of in that list. The greatest outdoor writers who ever lived.

Oh how I read those articles about far away places in the Yukon, BC, Alaska, Africa etc..... Those writers could make a young mind just feel the wind and the smell of spruce trees, sage brush, the arid deserts of the Southwest and Africa. Why you could just feel the sting of snow on your face as you stalked a Dall or Stone sheep. 30 day hunts in the Yukon for grizzly bears and moose. Lions in the brush God what a thrill!!! My mind would just swirl with the thought of spending that much time in the outback of far away places all done on horseback. That is the reason I went to guide school in Hamilton Mt. and became a guide in the Great Bear Wilderness just south of Glacier National Park. Spent 86 days with my ex living in a 3'x10'x12' wall tent guiding. All done on horseback 19 miles from the nearest road. 76 or 77 days the second year. Never came out for nothing. Part of the .357 DW story would be included if if I ever get the nerve to tell it. :cool:

Anyway I mention this as a guy who was working on a big job we were doing said if I kept him there he would buy me a 1911 as I suddenly wanted one. Of course he was gonna stay he was doing a great job but he insisted so I ended up with Colt 01991 which I still have. A month or so later I walked into Buds, this was in Paris before they moved to Lexington, and I saw this pistol. A Metro Arms, what the hell. Price was $349.99. Walked out for $350 even. I believe it has the lowest serial # of any "enhanced" MA ever sold in America. So this is was my second 1911 and kick started my love affair with pistols and 1911's in particular.

It has been uber reliable with what ever I have put in it. Slide to frame fit is pretty damn good and it has a deep blue that these pics don't do justice. Very accurate so I carried it for about 2 years as you can see some of the blueing is worn at the muzzle. It was the only one like it they ever got in as MA's changed the hammer and sights. :frown: It is all original except grips and trigger. If anybody has spent less for a prettier gun I would sure like to see the pics.:)

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I own 2 of the older MA American Classic II's. I believe that these older guns were very well built compered to the newer ones. Both mine are buttery smooth and eat any ammo I have fed them.

That is a low serial on yours! The one gun I own is A0054XX and don't remember the other, but it's somewhere around there as well.

·
Pulling my hair.
30,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own 2 of the older MA American Classic II's. I believe that these older guns were very well built compered to the newer ones. Both mine are buttery smooth and eat any ammo I have fed them.

That is a low serial on yours! The one gun I own is A0054XX and don't remember the other, but it's somewhere around there as well.
I owned 00056 in the GI model but just gave it to my best friend as he didn't have a pistol fit to defend his house. My 3 best friends now own 00055, 00056, and 00057 in the GI version. Don't know how that happened. :cool:

·
Make it a double
17,011 Posts
Cool story! I too had an American Classic. Sold it a few years ago and realized that I should have kept it. For the money, it sure was smooth. The wide shelf on the slide stop was an interesting feature as well.

·
Christ is my front sight.
824 Posts
Cool story! I have a MA classic with bull barrel. Like mine a lot. Well done pistol for the money. Wish I could find another but around here they are scarce for whatever reason. Only complaint was the pressed or whatever it is front strap checkering. I went back over it with my checkering file and cleaned it up nicely.

$350 for that is a steal of a deal. I'd do that all day everyday and twice on Sunday!

WG

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Here's my pair. The one on top is older, but just starting that period into the newer guns. You can see the MA marking. Also has no Government Model stamp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts