1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an itch, and it's for a 4" .357 revo, preferably a Smith and Wesson. Since picking up a 6" 19-5 here on the forum a couple months ago, I feel like I need a 4" to go along with it. K,L, or N frames preferably. I love the blued models most, but would not kick a stainless out of bed if the right deal came along.

What I've been looking at (all S&Ws, and all pre-lock, and all dashes):
Models 13, 19, 27, 28, 586, 65, 66. I have finally figured out the differences with each model, and would like to have the target grips and sights on whichever one I go with. Of course, that would exclude the 65 due to the channel rear sight, but I have not ruled that one out. I figured the rosco lovers here could give some good info.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I picked up a current production 586 few years back and it is a pleasure to shoot. This reminds me, I should take it out next time. It has only been shot once since I bought a Coonan.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I would think finding a nice 586 might be tough as they haven't been made in a while but a 686 is the same only SS. I shot a 6 inch 686 years ago in NRA Action pistol....great guns.

These days I am light in the Wheel gun department having a Model 19 snubbie, 4 inch 66, 4 inch 629 and a 637.

Myself I would opt again for a 4 inch 686 unless you can find a nice blued 586......

Karsten

·
Registered
433 Posts
The 586 is still current production. The 4” is my favorite barrel length for a revolver between carry and sight picture. If you have medium size hands, stick with the K or L frames, if you have big mitts, the N frame would be great. I have both, and carry the L frame more just because, although the N frame I have has a way better trigger.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have examples of nearly every model you mention. If I had to pick a blue 4" .357 -- which because you're specifying I presume means you intend to put a fair amount of actual magnums through -- I'd go 586.

Target sights mean more to me these days than they used to. The L-frame is built robust for .357 use, but in 4" and with the K-frame grip remains fairly light, compact and maneuverable.

If magnums were going to be modest-to-minimal, I'd go 19 because it's so well-balanced, handsome, iconic and shootable.

My 65 Lady Smith is my favorite fighting revolver, but if I had to pick a do-everything compromise for .357, a 4" 586 or its stainless sibling is it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would get a pre-lock 686, and make sure it had a pinned in front sight. I’m not a fan of the orange ramp sights, but if you get a pinned version then you can easily have it changed out to a Patridge or something other than the orange ramp. Here is my 686 Mountain Gun.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Ammunition

·
Registered
490 Posts
From your list in the 1st thread, the model 13 is also a fixed sight pistol......however, IMHO it is the best "fightin'/carrin' .357 revolver out there. Mine is a 3" round butt, but was also available in a 4" square butt. It is the blue equivalent to the Model 65. Other than that I'd go along with Au Jus in Bello............
TR

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
I've had lots of S&Ws but currently my only 4" .357 mag revolver is a Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Nice gun, great action, very accurate. The best part is that thanks to the grip angle it points naturally, like a 1911. If you're not completely sold on a S&W it would be worth a look. The frame size in about the same as an L-frame like the 686.

·
i'm riding a turtle!
3,351 Posts
^^^^^
I’m with Mike in this one. The 28 or 27 is my favorite platform but can be hard to find in 4” and sometimes pricey

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
^^^^^
I’m with Mike in this one. The 28 or 27 is my favorite platform but can be hard to find in 4” and sometimes pricey
You use to be able to find 28’s pretty reasonable but they’ve been creeping upward lately. I bought a shooter gave a quick blast and ran it thru the bluing tank. Just picked up a set of targets for it that should be here this week.
Gun Firearm Red White Trigger

1 - 20 of 78 Posts