Best 9MM Extractor?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Gary1911A1, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    My next 1911 build will be in 9MM and I'm deciding which parts to get, but I'm unsure if there are any good 9MM extractors made of spring steel and if not which to get? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. Bunker Arms

Bunker Arms Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    I use EGW extractors because of the way you can hold them in the vise to cut them the way I like. I think one of the best out of the box extractors are the wilson BP extractors which I believe are made from s7 tool steel, so it will have the yield strength characteristic of spring steel and some, about 3x greater.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Was going to suggest the same thing, you really have a hard time beating WC BP extractors all the way around. I use them quite regularly as a primary and usually save the old one for a secondary which doubtful should ever need used.

4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Same.
    Either EGW OR Wilson BP in 9mm.

Be advised EGW has two 9mm extractor styles.
    Ones minimalist ( seen them in new DWs) the older style is the solid rod to the tip.
    Never had either style fail- if set up properly.

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  5. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks guys. I have used the Wilson BP before in a .45 build I did in Larry Vicker's 1911 Build Class, but I was wondering if there were any better. Since I'm ordering more parts from Wilson's I guess I'll go ahead I use their extractor. It also sounds like with either of the EGW's extractors I would have to dress down the rear to be even with the slide.

6. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    +1 for the Wilson BP 9mm extractor

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  7. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    A lot of people have told me the BP Wilson is the best. I am going to fit one next I think, probably in a 9mm as well.

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  8. Liggett

Liggett Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I've installed 2 9mm Wilson BP extractors with zero fitting. One in a Kimber and the other in my Wife's new custom. Both have performed perfectly from day one.

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  9. Liggett

Feb 25, 2018
    My gunsmith decided that the Wilson extractor was part of the issue we were having with her new custom not chambering our 147gr. FP's consistently. He made some "adjustments" to the Wilson extractor. The real issue was that he had not ramped the 9mm barrel quite enough. Once he re-ramped the barrel the chambering problems stopped however we then had some failures to extract. During our practice session yesterday, after the gun had it's 3rd extraction failure, I installed a spare untuned Wilson bulletproof extractor and we experienced zero extraction issues over the next 100 or so rounds. If that continues over the next 200 or so, I will assume that the original BP extractor did not benefit from the "fine tuning".

10. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    I have never had a problem with any EGW part. And pretty sure if something was wrong they would replace it. Been using them for around 18 years. I haven't used the Wilson BP extractor in awhile but the other Wilson parts I have used recently didn't have the fit and finish that they once had years ago. Sharp edges , rough spots ,tool marks etc. Nothing catastrophic just seems they don't care as much as they used to.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    MDP likes this.
  11. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    EGW here.

MP Custom

12. Liggett

Feb 25, 2018
    The same pistol I used the Wilson extractor in I also used a Wilson thumb safety and slide stop. The fit and finish were excellent. I was especially impressed by how the edges of the thumb safety were rounded so as to be comfortable in both directions. I too have never had an issue with an EGW part.

13. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    They are all about the same, out of spec, when you get them. I refuse to use the "heavy duty" extractors because they are a PITA to tune. The Caspian 9mm extractors have worked very well for me for the past 13 years though. And that is what we use in all the builds, from the WMG line up to the full on customs that come from mine own hands.

azpoolguy and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    It was a Wilson Ambi-Safety that was the worst finished of the bunch. Sharp edges all along the back side edges on both pieces. And a little flaw in the side of the safety. It's possible I got a few parts that QC missed. They had always been well finished parts in the past thats why I remembered it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted