Best AK?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by WahWah, Nov 14, 2011.

1. WahWah

WahWah Debbie Downer ... WahWah! Supporting Addict

Oct 26, 2011
    What are your opinions on the best AK out there?
    I don't want to go with a WASR. I believe the Russians make the best quality AKs out there. I'm looking at either the Saigas or the Vepr.

I like to have the flexible configuration of an AR, but in the AK platform. What do you guys know or suggest?

2. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Spending that much on an AK sorta defeats the purpose behind the AK... rough, ugly.. and utterly reliable.

Me? one of the best deals going is the century bulgy 5,45 for less than $400...

If you wanna spend $800+.. you're buying name, and finish upgrades... my opinion of course. Have had plenty.. and never had an expensive factory AK outshoot an old Mak90, Sar1, ect...

3. WahWah

Oct 26, 2011
    I appreciate that feedback. You're right, I should look for < $500 for sure, but I think I was enamored in the Vepr's reputed accuracy and the rep for the AKs weren't necessarily based on the higher end models. so you're say look for Mak90s and Sar1s?

4. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I think so.. for a relative level of finish that is higher quality. The MAK's are hard to beat, especially if you put in the few compliance parts, and put on a regular stock & grips...

I love the vepr's too... and the siaga's are great. But the cost can get up there into the realm, where you could realistically buy a good solid basic AK and a Draco pistol for the same amount! hahah

The bulgy 5,45 is a real sweetheart as well... and for less than $400, its a steal. 5,45 is a real beastie of a round, and still cheap in bulk.

5. WahWah

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL ... you're making this harder not easier! 5.45 is what they use in the AK74's right? So you prefer that? I've heard great things about it as well.

6. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I like them both.. but right now, the russian tin can packed ammo is CHEAP.. its accurate.. and its nasty too boot (AS IN, IT KILLS ZOMBIES DEAD)... the 7,62 is always great, but the days of the super cheap ammo for it are over.. I think the best deal going in the yugo brass cased stuff. And its still more than the 5,45

I guess prices went up... I bought this about 9 months ago with 4 mags, NIB for $375

http://centerfiresystems.com/akagun-bul-blk.aspx

7. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    If I was hunting for one now.. I'd look at the local shops, and mind a nice thumbhole MAK, SAR1 or polish/bulgy ect... prices seem to be getting insane again.

8. 2001SportTJ

2001SportTJ 1911 Totin' Redneck!

Sep 17, 2011
    I just picked one of these up today. I only put 100 rounds through it but it functioned perfectly and was very accurate at 25 yards(indoor range), I can't wait to get it to the outdoor range and see how it does at 100 yards.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted