Best cheap ambidextrous safety?(low profile)

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Alexy, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Sorry for another dumb question everyone, but Does anybody know where I can get a good ambidextrous safety for my 1911? I just need a low profile safety (the ones which're just those smooth stubs) because the safety on it now is too large and it has sharp edges which graze my holster and my hand during CCW time.

Also is it model specific? Or can I just buy any ambi safety and it will fit? I have a rock island tac 1911 (.45ACP) if that helps.

2. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I like Ed Brown or Wilson...but I also re-shape them with files to get them to where I want them...I'm a lefty with XL/XXL hands and without some re-shaping they tend to dig into the web of my hand between thumb and forefinger....

BigJimP, simonp and Alexy like this.

3. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I know, I tried filing my safety and brushing it with an electric wire brush wheel but the safety levers are still too sharp and won't dull down. I've seen some that are just little rounded stubs, not really levers. That's what I'm looking form and of course I don't wanna spend $30+ on it.

4. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    I’ll admit upfront that I’m not a fan of Ambi thumb safeties, but I don’t think you’re going to find what you want at your price point.

5. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I’ll agree that it will be hard to find what you’re seeking at your price point. I have ambi’s on most of my guns at this point, they generally start as the larger sized Wilson Bullet Proof safety and then the smith cuts them down and blends them into the gun. It’s not fast or cheap but it’s the right way to do it so I’ve found.

$30 1911 safeties are going to be full of sharp edges and prone to breaking in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigJimP, Alexy and WWB like this.
  6. Hvrnaut

Hvrnaut Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2016
    WC Bulletproof or EB machined. I’m primarily a southpaw shooter. An ambi is a necessity for me.
    In a carry gun, I would certainly spend the extra $.

If it’s not for carry, or defensive purposes, then I don’t even worry about it. I have a Nighthawk 22lr conversion on a dedicated Springer (complete) frame that I didn’t bother fitting an ambi for.

Alexy likes this.
  7. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I agree, but it's bothersome. so is the rail it has on it. I assume there are rail covers for it? The rail is sharp and shreds any holster it goes into, and I figured the safety can be simplified too.

8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I was thinking the same thing (about the price point).

For those of us who primarily shoot left handed, investing in a quality ambi safety that functions reliably just makes sense.

But even for righties, if you're going to put a ambi safety on there, I'd think you would want to put a good one on there. Else why have one?

As for properly contouring it, a decent gunsmith shouldn't charge that much to fit it to your liking.

simonp likes this.
  9. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I just had John Jardine install an ambi for me, I provided the Wilson BP safety, install and contouring was very reasonable - money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wrmiller likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Late to the party but try seller Klonimus on eBay.

You may still need to file it down to your liking, but it's a good starting point.

Screenshot_20190217-054852.png

WHEELS and Alexy like this.
  11. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Honestly, sounds like maybe you should sell the gun and just get something you like better. You have to fit a good safety on a carry weapon and theres know way of getting rid of the rail.

At $30 i would just use a file or dremel and reshape the the one you have.

Alexy likes this.
  12. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Thank you! This is perfect!

I searched eBay with unlucky results. You are magic!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Post up a review when you get one. I think I bought one a while ago and will do likewise. I'll try to get a thread posted later today. I've been wanting to start one for a while now.

It will most likely be called, "No-Budget Smiffin'" . . . . .

In this thread I will share a few tips and tricks I have used over the years to get decent results with miniscule or zero budgets. The operative investments are primarily time, patience, and a willingness to learn, experiment, and share ideas.

Z

duketbrd88, Alexy and WHEELS like this.
  14. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Thank you and yes this is a great idea for a low budget smithing thread! I've learned a lot about AKs just out of my own curiosity. I know a lot of things that I don't even need to know, including ballistics etc... I think I know more about a WASR than I do about a bike.

Do it yourself smithing is very useful and a valuable skill!

duketbrd88 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted